Can you change seat assigments?

Jan 14th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Can you change seat assigments?

I booked a flight on American for a few months away, and received my e-ticket information earlier to find two seats I am not very happy with (on the MD80, near the back of the plane).

The flight shows there aren't many seats bought yet, and was wondering if there is any way to contact the airline and get a change?

Thanks in advance!
Jan 14th, 2005, 03:12 PM

Of course. Just call them and request a change of seats. They'll do it right on the line and the new seats will on your boarding pass when you get that.
Jan 14th, 2005, 07:42 PM
Cassandra

You can do this yourself at aa.com, assuming you have a frequent flyer number (if not, get one, just for the convenience of doing things like this).

You go to "my reservations" and select the one you're concerned about. It'll list your seat assignments and very likely have a red "select" button above it. Click on that and you should see other seats that may be available for the flight -- choose the one(s) you want.

If you don't have a FF number, get one, call AA and ask to have your FF number attached to your itinerary while you're also asking for a seat change.

Jan 15th, 2005, 05:29 AM

Go to seatguru.com to check on best seats on different airlines. Great website.
Jan 15th, 2005, 08:40 AM

One thing to remember - seat assignments are not guaranteed and may be changed at departure based on a number of factors such as an equipment change. If it is important to you to have seats together, for example, your best bet is to check in as early as you can.
Jan 16th, 2005, 07:07 AM

I changed my seat on aa.com without a frequent flyer number, I just had the booking reference number. I just clicked on "my reservations" and "Continue Without Logging In".
Jan 16th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much. I did this with no problems at all - and only needed my AA frequent flyer number (I booked both tickets) to alter the seat assignments.

Again, thanks you guys.