Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Buying a Ticket in Sweden to be used from the U.S.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there,

I am very new to this, so please indulge me. I am hoping this is a simple question. Can someone in Sweden, using Krona, purchase an airline ticket locally to be used to fly from the U.S. to Sweden? If so, other than the actual cost of the ticket, what are any additional costs involved? For example, are there any money conversion costs? Any other fees?

I have no idea what is involved and I figure there is a best way to accomplish this and there are some methods that can get incredibly expensive.

Any help will be appreciated.

Michael
Old May 18th, 2012, 04:02 PM

I've never done what you describe, but have you tried going on the website of the airline you want to fly?
Old May 18th, 2012, 04:15 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Easy: http://www.expedia.se/
Old May 18th, 2012, 06:34 PM

If it is all paid for and ticket issued, I don't see why that would be an issue.
Old May 18th, 2012, 11:46 PM

I think the only costs would be for the credit card transaction for non-domestic currency usage. Which can be 1-2 pct of the sum, depending on what you CC issuer charges. The same as when you use your CC for any other purchases abroad.
But I'm not sure if that applied in your case when you are in Sweden and buy this ticket with a Swedish CC from a company that perfoms the transaction in Crowns.
Old May 19th, 2012, 04:27 AM

In the matter of air fares, there is almost never a simple question.

The mechanics of purchasing are fairly straightforward, as outlined in previous replies. The fare you pay would be the same as if you had purchased the ticket in the U.S., with the dollar amount converted to Krona. But now the complicated part:

If it's a round-trip ticket from the US to Sweden, the ticket will almost certainly cost a different amount depending on whether you begin the round-trip in Sweden of the US. For example, a full fare RT business class ticket between Stockholm & New York costs $10,500 if you begin the trip from JFK, but only about half that much ($5787) if you start in Stockholm. Economy RT fares will be different, as well, though not by such a large $ amount.

If you're buying tickets for travel within the US, then it can make a difference if you're traveling as part of a trip from Sweden, but I'll leave that for another day.