business class vs first class?

Old Jan 27th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
business class vs first class?

Can someone explain the difference between these two classes of travel? Which airline would you recommend using from CA to China, preferable with a fully reclining seat?

Thanks!
Mila
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 03:31 PM

This is kind of complicated, so bear with me.

On longhaul international routes, there are 4 major classes of travel, from most expensive to least:

First, Business, Premium Economy, Economy

I won't get into the last two, as that's not what you're actually looking into.

<b>For US and most Asian carriers, excluding the Chinese ones</b>:

<b>First Class</b> is now usually a completely flat bed that's horizontal to the floor. This is true on United, ANA, Japan Airlines, Cathay Pacific and Asiana. Korean's older planes are not completely flat, but they're remodelling them. These are the common carriers you'll use from the West Coast to China. Northwest Airlines do not have International First Class service.

These First Class flat beds are often &quot;suites&quot; with excellent privacy, but aren't good for communicating with your travel partners. If you want to be close to your loved one, pick your seat carefully. They have about 70-80&quot; of pitch and all the lastest entertainment system provided by that carrier.

<b>Business Class</b> usually have 55&quot;-60&quot; pitch. That's not enough room to put a horizontal bed (with some creative exceptions), so you usually either get a recliner seat that has usually 150-170 degree of recline (think La-Z-Boy), or you get a flat bed that's angled (your feet are closer to the floor than your head). Some people like one type, some others. Check carefully.

<b>Chinese airlines</b> have different definition for their classes. Their First Class is more like other carriers' Business Class; while their Business Class is more like other carriers' Premium Economy (or Domestic First Class with about 38&quot; pitch). And they are also priced accordingly.

But Air China is also renovating its fleet to put its service class up to par with other international airlines. I don't know the progress of the conversion, but if you're finding cheap fares on Chinese carriers for First Class or Business, that's the reason why.
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 09:02 PM

China Eastern has flat beds in first class on their A346. These aircraft are used on the LAX-PVG route. In business class seats on this aircraft, while not lie flat (which I don't particularly like anyway), have what I would say is about 160-170 degree recline and 60&quot; pitch. This is comparable to most US and European carrier (with the exception of those that offer flat beds) long haul business class seating. Service, catering, and entertainment could use improvement but I have no complaints about the seats themselves. Just a note, there's currently no lounge access for China Eastern business class passengers at LAX while the Tom Bradley terminal lounges are being renovated. I don't know what they're doing, if anything, to accomodate first class passengers during the renovation. PVG has separate business and first class lounges.

I remember the days when you could buy a roundtrip LAX-PVG business ticket on China Eastern for $1200, but that's no more and today the fares are in the range of $3000. I think first class runs around $5000. To me, the difference between first and business wouldn't be worth the additional cost, but consider that this is coming from someone who has never flown in long haul first so maybe I don't know what I'm missing and it's probably better that I keep it that way

If you want 180 degree horizontal, go for first class but frankly if you were going to spring for first, I'd pick a carrier other than China Eastern just because I'd want all the other ancillary stuff to be up to par which I don't think is the case at this time. On the other hand, maybe other carriers charge a lot more (I don't know, I don't price first) and perhaps all you care about is the seat.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 04:42 AM

Thanks, Patty for the info. I also know China Southern is updating its 777 on the LAX-CAN route, just don't know the timetable. In the future, all Chinese First and Business class on the longhauls will be more or less equivalent to other carriers, just that it's not 100% across the board yet.
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your replies.
The information is very helpful.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 10:07 PM

Difference between business and first on BA, the last I checked was about $5000. In first, on an overnight flight from west coast to London, you get a bed, pajamas, all the food and drink you can consume all night, nice blanket, and after a nice meal and a toddy you just rest back, and wake up in London. In business, you have a wonder lay back chair that goes almost flat, but not as fancy as first and no pajamas.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 10:42 PM

If you haven't flown Singapore Airlines before, you should! They are a Bombastic airline - you would not be disappointed. I have a review of my last flight with them at http://www.bombasticlife.com/t_thing...nes_SQ227.html

Let me know which airline you end up taking and your experience.