Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

British Airways First Class: Is it worth it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2008, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Getting there, its the toughest part of traveling these days. But flew British Airways First Class, and it was a treat. The service, food, drinks, movies and amenities were all great, but long flights are all about leg-room.

Who knew you could push a button and have your seat turn into a bed? We had over six feet between us and the people in front of us. To make sleeping easier, BA actually adds a mattress and duvet, and provides pajamas.

Was it perfect? No. The plane had a luggage compartment problem in London which caused a two hour delay for us in Phoenix. Unfortunately, First Class doesn’t arrive any faster than the rear of the plane. The airport does have a nice lounge though, and quiet comfortable seats help pass the time and keep stress levels down.

On board the plane, normally British Airways has huge on-demand movie and TV availability. Unfortunately, when we boarded, we were informed that most choices were not available, and there was no time to fix the problem.

Tip 1 – Movie failure is fairly frequent. If this problem will bother you, carry your laptop and a couple of your own DVDs. Remember the JETSETWAY is often about reducing stress, as well as increasing pleasure.

Tip 2 – No sane person I know spends $20,000 for a round trip First Class ticket. That’s what frequent flier miles are for.

Tip 3 – There is a huge difference between Coach and Business Class – way more than between First and Business. If you fly Business, make sure your airline has fully reclining seats.

Because we flew First Class, we were first off of the plane. Awaiting our arrival were two “handlers” with “Shulman” signs, who immediately whisked us out a side entrance and drove us to Immigration. The line was lengthy, but we jumped right to the front of the line.

We then darted downstairs with the handlers, and grabbed our luggage, which the handlers informed us was already pre-cleared with Customs (how is that possible?). We were zipped through a back door, and into a van for the three minute ride to our private jet, which was fueled and ready to go. Five minutes later, we were in the air ien route to Avignon, France (75 minutes away).

Overall, an excellent experience on on excellent airline.

For more Travel Tips, visit my Travel Blog at www.JetSetWay.com. Thanks.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 01:14 PM

wtf?
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 05:48 PM

Old Oct 21st, 2008, 07:43 PM

wth
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 08:43 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
take a look at our OP's history - he registered today and has posted 4 times w/ all these so over the top blurbs about posh travel.

( jetsetway -- advertising isn't allowed on here. Especially advertising lame websites like yours)
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Tough crowd! Thanks for the helpful feedback.

You really know how to make a guy feel welcomed. Sorry for trying to share my experiences with you.
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 09:43 AM

I for one couldn't for the life of me figure out your post, jetsetway. It reads like one of those fluff travel pieces that show up in the <i>Bozeman Bugle</i> (&quot;Who knew you could push a button and have your seat turn into a bed?&quot; -- actually, anyone who has access to the internet and is planning to fly in a premium class would have figured that out fairly quickly).

Then, your 3 Tips are either non-tips or non-sensical or just sort of random thoughts unrelated to the article. Add to that multiple references to jetsetway -- which, as was pointed out, seems to be a particularly inane travel site -- and it is not all that surprising that you do not hear a chorus of praise for your post.
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

I understand your points. In the future, I will make my posts more relative and less inane.

That I want to promote my site is true, but I'm not trying to sell anything to anyone. Like I said, I will be more mindful in the future.
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 11:12 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
well if you want people to visit your website it might work better if you didn't gush about uber-expensive travel. Since the ins &amp; outs of flying 1st class on BA are hardly going to come up in my own life, I quit reading the OP long before I saw your posted link.

Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 03:20 AM

Jetseway, you're not telling us anything new!Maybe new to you, but not to us.

It's a waste of time to post this stuff here. Seems like this is the first time you've flown.
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 12:38 PM

Well it seems that you have been put down real good
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 09:50 PM

Too funny, this thread ........

Rizzuto: This thread reminds me of our Africa forum going back a year or so ago, when the dynamic duo were still posting .........