best flight from Missouri to Northern CA

Jan 20th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

best flight from Missouri to Northern CA

I will be traveling from Missouri to northern CA midJune - there will be 4 of us going. My question is what would be the cheapest route to take.

We are considering:
Kansas City to Sacramento
St Louis to Sacramento
KC - to Reno
STL to Reno

We are going to Weaverville CA which is near Redding but flying into Redding is super expensive.

the flights have been around $350 -
I know it will be a 4 hour drive from Sacramento without a lot to see.

any info or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Jan 20th, 2011, 12:18 PM

I'd fly into Sacramento. Sacramento will be about 3.5 hours and Reno at least an hour longer. Since it's through the mountains and national forest Reno could be even slower.
I'd go Sacramento. You might check fares into San Francisco and Oakland. It's about a 4.5 hour drive from either of those but you might get a really good deal.
Jan 20th, 2011, 12:20 PM

I forgot to add that which Missouri airport you choose would depend on your starting point and fares.
We usually fly into Wichita or Tulsa but we are going close to Joplin.
Jan 20th, 2011, 01:24 PM

WN's fares from both STL and MCI to SMF are about $180 each way; which as you found is also basically all other airlines charge. So, just whichever airport you prefer in MO.
Jan 20th, 2011, 02:49 PM

I haven't the slightest idea about the answer to OP's question.

However, I didn't realize that Weaverville CA actually existed. I'd encourage the OP (and anyone else, for that matter) to give a listen to Mary McCaslin's Ballad of Weaverville -- it's a good tune, and it provides valuable historical info about the town's name.
Jan 20th, 2011, 04:45 PM

How about a non stop from MCI on Frontier or United to SFO, and then drive from SFO to Weaverville?
Jan 20th, 2011, 08:27 PM

SFO > Weaverville is 275 miles and would take at least 5 hours -- and that is w/o heavy traffic during Bay area commute hours. The I-80 corridor through SF, the east Bay and Fairfield before the 505 cut off could add 60 more minutes

SMF > Weaverville is almost exactly 200 miles and would take maybe 3.5 hours all on I-5 w/ no commute congestion anywhere along the route. Plus SMF is a very easy airport to get out ofand on the road quickly.

I'd choose Sacramento every single time --even if it cost $50 or $100 more per person.
Jan 21st, 2011, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

thanks so much = any ideas how to get promo codes for airlines?? southwest or frontier??
Jan 26th, 2011, 04:11 PM

Sacramento. It's usually less expensive to fly into Sacramento than to Reno, and as janisj pointed out, it's a straight shot up I-5 until the 44 turnoff, whereas from Reno, it will add at least an hour to your commute time through winding, mountainous roads. The only advantage to flying into Reno would be that the drive would be much prettier if you take Hwy 70 and 89!
Sign up for Southwest's DING fares; list your home airports as St Louis and Kansas City.
Feb 22nd, 2011, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

We have decided to fly into SFO - rent a car - drive to Union Square - take cable car to Fisherman Wharf/ china town / fire museum. Cross the Golden Gate Bridge - Stinson Beach - Marshall ( I am from Marshall MO) - and drive up the coast to Fort Bragg - spend the night and then on to Weaverville. We want to see some sights - stop at a beach etc. We will drive 5 to Sacramento and fly home from there.
thanks so much!!
Feb 22nd, 2011, 02:50 PM

Sorry -- but that first day will be an absolute killer. If you want to hit those sites, you really have no chance to get out of SF before about 1PM, and that will be at a rush.

Then is it nearly 200 miles up the coast a good 5 hours straight driving w/o ANY stops. Add another 1.5 - 2 hours minimum for breaks/stops/sites and you will get to Ft Bragg at about sundown and be totally wasted.
Feb 22nd, 2011, 02:53 PM

Meant to add . . . - so you really need to break your journey somewhere. Either spend the night in SF and pick up the rental car the next morning, or stop over somewhere on the Marin or southern Sonoma coast
Feb 22nd, 2011, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

We are looking to arrive at SFO at 10:20 am - on Bing maps it shows SFO to Fort Bragg as 3 1/2 hours. We expect to get to hotel around sunset which for June should be 9ish. Ten hours should be plenty of time to get out of airport and hit the stops we want to hit. We dont have a problem with driving.

I know these maps can be off - is it even close??
Feb 22nd, 2011, 06:05 PM

"on Bing maps it shows SFO to Fort Bragg as 3 1/2 hours."

It is not 3.5 hours via the coast. That would be up 101 which won't take you anywhere near Marshall. Marshall is on Tomales Bay so you have to go all the way on hwy 1 -- which is a gorgeous drive. Or you could cut over to Santa Rosa - miss all the coast -- and STILL take 5 hours w/o stops.

If you don't arrive at SFO until 10:30 it will be even later before you can leave SF. I was assuming an early AM arrival. getting the car, into downtown SF, parking, Cable cars, FW, Chinatown, the museum -- you won't be across the GG bridge until likely 2 or 3 PM at the very earliest. You have planned more than 1/2 a day's worth of sites/travel just w/i San Francisco.

"Ten hours should be plenty of time to get out of airport and hit the stops we want to hit. We dont have a problem with driving."

Are you used to long, winding, two lane roads w/ no place to pass and lots of slow driving? It is a fairly intense drive. Not as hairy as Big Sur -- but parts are very close. You have planned one hellacious day. But it is your trip . . .
Feb 22nd, 2011, 06:51 PM

If you're interested -- this discussion will get more input over on the United States Forum -- it no longer has much to do w/ the flights/air travel