"back to back" ticketing??

Dec 7th, 2004, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

"back to back" ticketing??

Will I get in trouble for doing this? My plans have changed!

My dilemma is that I'm booked like this - MEM-DFW-LGW on the outbound, and LGW-DFW-MEM on the inbound. However, on the return I need to fly into Little Rock from Dallas. Since I will have my baggage after going through customs, can I just forget the DFW-MEM portion of the flight and book another flight from DFW to LIT?

The only reason I want to do this is because they said they would have to reroute my whole itinerary to change the inbound portion, thus making it very expensive to change that leg of the trip.
Dec 7th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Now that I've thought about it, I'm not doing "back to back" ticketing, but will anything happen if I do what I'm planning?

Dec 7th, 2004, 05:14 PM

They usually hold summary executions for these folks at sunrise on the tarmac. The pageantry of these events is always festive and admission is free, but the concession prices remain too high for my liking.

Actually, I wouldn't think that you would experience a problem and there will be plenty of people not re-checking their bags after customs because they are terminating in Dallas. (Hopefully the baggage folks won't lose too much sleep over your missing barcode.)

On the second ticket you are contemplating, are you flying one-way from Dallas to Little Rock, doing an open jaws or coming back to Dallas?
Since it's only about a two-hour drive from Memphis to Little Rock, there isn't a TON of time to be saved either way. With the combination of needing a new ticket, hassles, etc., it could end being comparable to the cost of changing the ticket you already have. (Or perhaps not... I will presume you've netted all of this stuff out already.)
Dec 10th, 2004, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Flyboy! You scared me at first...lol!

I've got to be in Little Rock for New Years, and back in Dallas by the 3rd, then back in Little Rock after that. So, I'm just going to ditch the last leg of my first flight (DFW-MEM), as I have a feeling I'd miss that connection anyway since I'm coming in from LGW.

And yes, I've looked at all the options and it was much more feasible to book a completely separate ticket which I've done.

Thanks for your help!!

Dec 11th, 2004, 09:37 AM

This is not back to back which the airlines claim is illegal..

What is back to back...it is a way business travellers may try to circumvent Saturday night stay over rules.

Let's say you are a businessman from NY spending a week in LA....To fly NYC-LAX-NYC without a Friday night stayover might cost $1200...but a RT with a Saturday night stayover costs $300.

So you buy 2 RT's...one NYC-LAX-NYC with a return on any flight you choose after the next Saturday night. Then you buy LAX-NYC-LAX departing on the Friday and returns anytime after Saturday night. Voila 2 RT's cost $600 vs. $1200 for one RT....

Or even more creative if the business man wants to go home for the week he actually uses the first ticket say from the first Monday to the second Friday and the second ticket from Friday to Monday...$600 with a weekend at home!

Airlines claim this is illegal and have threatened to punish travellers pulling this with such things as denying ff credit. Back in the bygone era when we had travel agents (remember them) they threatened constantly to punish ta's who had the audacity to try to beat the airlines at their imbecilic rules.

In the modern age with internet booking and using 2 separate airlines, I doubt extremely if they can do anything about it even if they wanted.

Search this Thread