R/T Ticket For O/W Trip?

Dec 20th, 2002, 11:51 AM
LT

R/T Ticket For O/W Trip?

I am driving to the west coast and need to fly back. The cheapest one-way fare on Southwest is double their round-trip fare (makes sense, huh?). I am thinking of buying a r/t ticket and only using the outgoing portion.

However, I have heard horror stories where the airlines have really socked it to people who do this . . .

How likely is this? Anyone out there have experience doing this? Any airlines more punitive than others?

Any constructive comments/suggestions are GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks!!

Dec 20th, 2002, 11:56 AM
Blenroth

Sounds like a wonderful opportunity for some airline arbitrage here. I wonder if it would be possible to buy the round trip ticket, take the outbound flight, and upon arrival try to sell back the inbound portion of the ticket.

Dec 20th, 2002, 12:04 PM
Ifly

LT,

That sounds very strange to me. The Southwest website makes it easy to do one leg or round trip without "double their round-trip fare".

Where are you flying to and when?

Incedentally for Blenroth, that is not doable. Your name is on the ticket and it must match your ID when you go through security + getting your boarding pass.

Ifly

Ifly

Dec 20th, 2002, 12:05 PM
J

I've done this on United and American in the last couple of years and had no problems with retribution. If you fly out and just never use the return, how are they to know you didn't have some serious illness or something like that?

You might also look into JetBlue if it works for where you're flying. I don't think they penalize for one-way.

Dec 20th, 2002, 12:31 PM
xxx

Spirit Airlines has one way cross country flights.

Dec 20th, 2002, 12:32 PM
Patrick

This subject comes up a lot, also on the Europe board.
I have yet to believe that anyone, anywhere, ever bought a round trip ticket, only flew the first half of it, and then had the police come to his or her house and make an arrest because they didn't return.

Sure, throw away the second half. Please don't lecture us me on morals issues here. To me this is no different than buying two boxes of cereal for the price of one, but never eating the second one. You think the grocery will come force you to eat it?

If nothing else you could always insist that your outbound flight was so bad that you refuse to ever board that airline again and that's why you found other transportation home. You think they would make a case out of this?

Dec 20th, 2002, 01:39 PM
r-travels

Southwest seems to more often lately having "round trip required" on a lot of their sale routes, so I can see where possibly you got a round trip for cheaper than FULL PRICED one way on SW.

But, Southwest has one of the most lenient cancellation policies. While they return no money on those cheap tickets, they allow you up to one year from the original purchase to use the credit. Why don't you cancel the return flight, and see if within a year you have the need to make that same flight? If you've not made the trip in a year, you can forfeit the funds then, or could plead to have them extended.

Are you certain you cannot get a 1 way fare that is not round trip that is less $ than the full-fare?

Whatever you decide, no one is gonna be coming after you.

Dec 20th, 2002, 01:44 PM
Blenroth

That is, in effect, what I was suggesting above. There has got to be a way of working the system here. I think you should be able, somehow, to pay the r/t fare and then get a voucher credit for the unused half of it.

After arrival on your flight, go to the SWA ticket counter and tell them that you can't make the return leg (for whatever reason, plans changed, family matters, etc) and see if they will give you a voucher for it.

Dec 21st, 2002, 03:31 PM
jill

The problem comes when people by a round-trip ticket and try to use the 2ND part of the ticket after not having used the first. THAT'S where the airline socks it to you.

There is no problem with using the outbound half of the ticket and then trashing the return.

Dec 21st, 2002, 04:34 PM
Bob

Jill--- makes sense. Why should the airline care? They have their money!!

Dec 23rd, 2002, 05:23 AM
Walter

LT-
Your definitive answer is on the AIRLINE board.

Dec 23rd, 2002, 06:58 AM
Tim

I had a similar situation and bought a one way ticket on ebay.com Southwest Rapid Reward tickets are transferable and there are many on ebay this moment, both round trip and one ways. I would go to ebay.com...then type under search "southwest" and you'll see what I mean.

Dec 23rd, 2002, 07:08 AM
Beverly

Yes, Tim you are so correct. Since technically, these Rapid Reward frequent flyer tickets can't be sold their actually selling "drink coupons" with a bonus of a Southwest tickets...don't forget that some of these may have black out dates so carefully read the ad before bidding or using a "buy it now". Go to this website and you'll see thousands of Southwest tickets:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...Sort&catref=C1

Dec 23rd, 2002, 01:57 PM
Bruce

Great deal on some last minute tickets..I love SW because there is no quality control on the number of seats and no Saturday night stay required. ...I would never have even thought to look on ebay. Last minute tickets can be so costly, thanks for the good website Beverly.

Dec 23rd, 2002, 02:01 PM
Bill

Bruce did you mean capacity control?

Too funny!