BA to MXP with connection at LHR

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2019, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking at a Biz award ticket from the US to Milan connecting through LHR. This will be all ticketed on one BA ticket, but the connection time is 1.5 hours. We won't check bags.

Where do we hit immigration? LHR or Milan?
If it's Milan, I feel we should take the chance. What do you think?

BA has two later flights to Milan, so I assume they would rebook us if they had to, but we're American Airlines customers taking our award on BA metal. Does it make any difference?
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 08:33 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
You should be fine. Milan flights depart from Terminal 5, which is where you'll probably land coming from the US*. You'll go through security at Heathrow but not passport control nor customs; you'll do both of those in Milan. 90 minutes ought to be ample, and yes, if you misconnect they'll simply put you on the next flight.

*As far as I know, the only BA-metal flights from the east coast that use T3 are those from Miami. Where are you flying from or connecting through?

Last edited by Gardyloo; Jul 4th, 2019 at 08:36 AM.
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

The flight leaves for LHR from Pittsburgh, our home city. The first direct flight to Europe I've taken within memory.
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 12:32 PM

<<they'll simply put you on the next flight.>> The next available flight, not necessarily the next flight.
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 12:54 PM

It all depends on how many planes are coming in at that time. BA from LAX comes in at T5, C gates, and might be different for flights from Pittsburgh, and the LIN flights we get go from T5 A gates, may be different for MXP flights. You go to flight connections, and through security again. It is quite a walk to get from one to the other, but I think there is some sort of transport, maybe a train. It is a fairly tight connection, we like to leave about 2 hours or a little more between planes.
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

That's helpful, joto. I'm holding fire on making the booking. It's very far out and I'm still scouting Biz award tickets but this is good to know. The other options on BA from Pittsburgh direct have roomier connection but they go to MXP. I had rather thought that LIN would be preferable for us, but I'm no old hand at Milan airports. Which makes it easiest to get in the city? We'll only have two nights.
Old Jul 5th, 2019, 04:27 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Linate is much closer to Milan, a taxi ride.