Alcohol bought in airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2006, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been searching since the carry on restrictions have changed to allow no liquids on flights.
What about alcohol purchased in the airport? We have a trip to Jamaica coming up in October and everyone typically is climbing on the plane with their cheap alcohol bought in the airport.
Is there none allowed no questions asked or are they going to permit it if it's sealed and I have a receipt that it was bought in the airport?
Any suggestions for packing bottles in the checked luggage so they will still be in one piece when I get home?
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 04:44 AM

I have read that it's okay to purchase liquid at the duty-free store, where the items are delivered directly to the gate or jetway.

I don't know if they set up the system like that in Jamaica. If not, then you're supposed to board a US-bound flight with liquid.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 05:13 AM

From what I understand, no liquids means no liquids. We can't even buy water or coffee in the terminal and bring it on board. I also read an article in the past couple days that some of the duty-free shops have had up to a 75% drop in sales due to the new rules about liquids. Anything bought in the terminal must be consumed before boarding the plane. (I think this could present another problem with this particular liquid!)
Since I don't drink this isn't much of an issue with me but is there any significant savings to buying duty-free liquor and is the savings enough to offset the hassle factor?
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 07:17 AM

They might let you on your flight out of Jamaica with what you purchased in Duty Free. However, if you're making a connection once in the US, you might not be able to take it on your connecting flight. Frankly, I don't think it's worth the hassle to save a few bucks.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 10:41 AM

Camoang, I'd forget about the alcohol. On Monday I flew from Iceland to Boston on Icelandic Air. Passengers were not allowed to bring any liquids, gels, etc. even those purchased in the Duty Free shops. In fact, the airport closed its Duty Free alcohol shop and removed all Blue Lagoon beauty products from the shelves in other shops.

Although I was continuing to the US from Oslo, I and other passengers were required to pass through a second security check. At this one, my mascara was confiscated, but not my contact lens solution (in the case for my contacts) or eye drops. Go figure.

Old Aug 21st, 2006, 08:05 AM

Right now, you may have alcohol purchased in airport duty-free stores brought to you on the plane, but you may not carry it on yourself. Whether the duty-free stores in Jamaica will do that or not is something I can't tell you. What I can say is that I believe it is likely that these restrictions will be both clarified and lessened in the coming weeks or months, particularly with regard to liquid items bought in airports.

The situation regarding duty-free alcohol may very well change by October, so you should keep a close watch on the news.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 09:01 AM
lvk

At the Munich airport yesterday, the clerk in the duty free store would not even sell me chocolates with liquid or cream fillings.

However, people were allowed to buy alcoholic beverages from the on-board duty free cart. This was Lufthansa.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 03:26 PM

The best way to transport alcohol is in your tummy
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 08:43 PM

And Doug, I'm equally as certain, if not more so, that the ban WON'T be lifted in the coming weeks or months-and as between you and me, I think I've got the better inside track.

They will NOT let you on board your flight with alcohol purchased duty -free at the airport in Jamaica inbound to the US-don't even think about it. I've said this now a hundred times: US law requires all inbound flights to the US to comply with our law on the banning of liquids, gels, cremes and aerosols. You can't pick up duty-free and carry it aboard, otherwise you'd be negating the whole security related purpose for banning these items in the first place. (Of course, only the Brits would ban these items through the checkpoint, and then allow anything to be bought and carried on board British flights airside-the security logic of that little manuver completely escapes people on this side of the pond).

TSA has a whole section on their website regarding duty-free sales-you CAN have duty-free brought to the plane for you, with certain exceptions for connecting flights and originating flights in the destinations set forth below:

Our Travel Assistant
Duty Free Items

Due to enhanced security measures most liquids, gels, lotions and other items of similar consistency will not be permitted in carry-on baggage. These types of items must be packed in your checked baggage.

Duty free items are permitted if delivered directly onto the aircraft. However, passengers making connections from international to domestic flights must transfer the items to their checked bag before boarding their flight. At pre-clearance airports passengers must put duty free items into their checked luggage since the aircraft deplanes behind passenger security checkpoints.

Please note: Duty free policies differ by airport. For additional information on duty free, please contact your airport directly.

It is important to note, that if you are departing from the following cities directly to the United States, you need to pack duty free items containing liquids or gels in your checked baggage. When you land in the United States after leaving from these cities you do not process through customs and therefore will not have access your checked baggage. Due to current security procedures, you will not be allowed to board a connecting flight in the United States with liquids and gels. Learn more about our security procedures before you fly. Our Travel Assistant

Aruba
Bermuda
Calgary, Canada
Edmonton, Canada
Freeport, The Bahamas
Montreal, Canada
Nassau, The Bahamas
Ottawa, Canada
Toronto, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Winnipeg, Canada

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...duty_free.shtm

Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 03:42 AM

How about bronchial inhalers and nose spray? I checked the website and didn't see them listed. The nose spray is probably a wash, but I don't like going anywhere without my rescue inhaler. Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 11:35 AM

All prescription medications are allowed, though they should be labeled with the original prescription label (this has always been the law but has never been enforced before). Non-prescription inhalers should also be allowed since even liquid non-prescription are supposed to be allowed in small quantities.

I have no crystal ball regarding whether duty-free alcohol and perfumes will be allowed at some point in the near or far future, though I still suspect that things bought INSIDE the security areas of the airport will eventually be allowed back on all planes, as they are everywhere else in the world except on flights inside or into the US. Only time will tell.

We can only hope that common sense wins in this case.
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 06:42 PM

hm, I want to say that if common sense wins then the terrorists wouldn't do what they do.