Airplane rate change

Jan 31st, 2019, 11:41 PM
Original Poster

Airplane rate change

can you explain to me why the flight rates change every day while it is the same destination?
Feb 1st, 2019, 02:10 AM

Do you think every seat on a flight should be sold at exactly the same price? I can explain why it changes but it would be wasted.
Feb 1st, 2019, 04:11 AM
J62

In short, it's due to capitalism. Specifically the laws of supply & demand.
Feb 1st, 2019, 04:58 AM

Simple. They have a computer that updates "what the traffic will bear." Seats not selling? Lower the price. Selling well? Raise the price. You've checked the price twice? Raise the price and scare you into paying more for fear of losing out. Checked seven times? Lower it to draw you in. The route is the same but your mileage may vary.
Feb 3rd, 2019, 11:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys
Feb 3rd, 2019, 11:27 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Odin View Post
Do you think every seat on a flight should be sold at exactly the same price? I can explain why it changes but it would be wasted.
Well, I'm not talking about the seats but the fact that they sell a seat at a different price each day. Anyway, if you do not want to answer, I do not know why you are bothering to answer my post. Thanks anyway.
Feb 4th, 2019, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by jadejones View Post
Well, I'm not talking about the seats but the fact that they sell a seat at a different price each day. Anyway, if you do not want to answer, I do not know why you are bothering to answer my post. Thanks anyway.
Youíre welcome. BTW, airlines donít sell a seat at a different price every day.
Feb 5th, 2019, 08:43 AM

Some airlines are using what is called “Dynamic Pricing” models. Here’s how it works: an airline identifies the person looking for a flight and mines data for that person’s flying and search history. Amazon does that today to remember your shopping history and can boost the price of popular products using dynamic pricing. As AJPeabody said: “the computer updates what the traffic will bear.”Airlines price tickets as much as the customer/market will bear. Profiling customers into leisure or business groups helps them adjust prices. The way each group is priced is differently. The airlines start prices higher or lower depending on the number of months in advance that the flight is purchased or if it’s a last minute booking. The prices are altered depending upon a customer’s willingness to pay. https://www.smartertravel.com/dynami...rfare-results/
Feb 5th, 2019, 08:37 PM

Do you mean why a flight on Monday will have a different price than a flight on Tuesday? Or do you mean why the flight on Monday will change price ?