Reload this Page >

air canada info please

Search

air canada info please

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 04:33 AM
lynn c

air canada info please

we are flying in september direct Heathrow to vancouver - (then domestic van. to Toronto) and finally toronto back home to Manchester - using Air Canada. we have never flew with them before and wondered what it was like? are the seats roomy? what the cabin staff like generally? are there backseat TVs or big screen? and finally can u get upgardes and how? Cheers.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 04:42 AM
Vic

What distinguishes airlines in coach class is legroom. Air Canada is average, American Airlines is very generous, Virgin is terrible.<BR><BR>Due to the weakness of the Canadian dollar, the fare should be cheap compared with flying to the US.<BR><BR>As for upgrades, you'll either have to pay, or use miles if you have them.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 01:12 PM
Ian

I used to fly Air Canada domestic in Canada at least once per week. Now, I use Westjet in the West and only book AC for cross country flights. I cannot comment on international as I n use an alternate carrier, but I can tell you that their domestic service is not at all good. They merged with another excellent airline a year ago and the service has gone steadily downhill ever since. Forget the upgrade, even if you have coupons they make it VERY difficult. The planes are no longer groomed as before, last time I found a dirty tissue in the seat pocket along with an expired boarding pass. My experience is that they often overbook and have no hesitation to cancel a flight and combine it with another thus causing late departures/arrivals. Unfortunately they have a monopoly in parts of Canada and there is little choice-hence their steadily declining reputation. If you do fly AC, avoid the food-it has deteriorated at a faster rate than the service.

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 09:02 AM
lynn c

i appreciate the info everyone although it doesn't sound good news for us as we will be starting with a ten hour flight with AC - folllowed by domestic - then long flight home again at the end of our holiday. unfortunately, as u say they have monopoly and we didn't have any other options. cheers

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 09:40 AM
Vic

There's nothing wrong with Air Canada. I'm sure you'll have a great flight.

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 04:42 PM
Daniel

I have been on many Air Canada flights. They used to be good, now I would rate them as decent. Seats are average, there are no individual tvs except in first class. I'm not sure how to get upgrades except if you are a member of Star Alliance or Air Canada Aeroplan. Also, the airline has taked on many more annoying taxes due to 9/11.

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 04:47 PM
xxx

The problem is that AC has now basically taken on a Monopolistic type of enterprise so they can basically do what ever they want: poorer service, bad meals and higher prices.

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 10:41 AM
lynn c

what are these extra taxes that daniel has mentioned. wil it already have been included in my price? Thanks again.

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 10:48 AM
Gregory

Hi lynn,<BR><BR>Many airlines have added charges to cover increased security and insurance costs and these will have been included in the price you have paid.<BR><BR>There is I think a new Canadian Government tax of $12CDN per flight coming into effect on 1st of Arpil but only for those bookings made on or after 1st April. As you have already booked, you should not have to pay this.

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 10:30 AM
lynn

thats quite steep on top of cost Gregory - we have already booked flights but only paid deposit - i hope this counts for no extra charges?

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 07:17 PM
justine

I am from Manchester and live in vancouver. Air Canada is no British Airways but of course neither are the fares. having siad that I would say I find Air Canada to be curteous, friendly an extremely nice to my school-age daughter always supplying her with treats and extra things to do.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 01:31 PM
ian

The taxes in Canada are extremely high. I booked a return fare for a trip this weekend. Web fare was $139CAN, total cost, taxes in, was $245.49. Taxes were navcan $56.,airport fees $12., GST $16.06. and security $22.43.<BR><BR>Now if you think these taxes are high, consider this: The $139 fare includes the airlines expenses, including fuel. Yes the fuel is taxed, hence that tax is buried in the $139. Take it a little further and assume a tax rate of only 25 percent (low). In Canada, one has to earn (gross) $325 to pay for a $139. airline ticket!<BR><BR>To be fair, the taxes are proportionally less when you book more expensives flights but you pay them nonetheless.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 02:07 AM
doug

well, air canada bites. crumy food , grumpy attendants, that have been there 50 years. pray that u dont sit around a crying baby. good luck.