Air Asia long haul- opinions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alerted to the new service between Kuala Lumpur and Stansted, London, I'm considering travelling with Air Asia to Britain (from Australia.) I'd like to hear opinions about their long haul services- food, comfort, entertainment- and anything peculiar to Air Asia I should pay attention to. (And yes, I know they are a budget airline, so I know not to expect service par to a Singapore Airlines/Cathay Pacific/Qantas flight.)
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Bumping this as Air Asia are now offering AUD$700 return fares, and I would be really interested in hearing opinions on their services.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 02:10 PM

never flown with Air Asia but you may check the link www.airlinequality.com and in the Airline seat pitch guide you will find out that they have the smallest pitch, 29", the distance between rows, while the average of the other asian carriers is between 31" and 34". You do not have to expect too much in terms of seat comfort and should be ready to stroll very often back and forth in the aisle dring this longhaul flight, but if the fare is really very attractive you may deal with this. Unfortunately there is no economy class seat reviews for Air Asia in the same link but you find the airline reviews from passengers. Rating is 3 stars out of 5. Hope this helps.
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 09:24 PM

Be careful with AirAsiaX.
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 09:24 PM

Most recently, my wife and I were stranded in Abu Dhabi when AirAsiaX announced they were canceling service to/from Abu Dhabi in January this year. They didn’t notify us (their stranded passengers) until Feb 10th. Neither did they offer any accommodation nor answer our emails asking for help. We had to get back to Malaysia on our own. They won’t reimburse our additional expenses either.

They said they would refund the Abu Dhabi/Kuala Lumpur portion of our trip, but it will take them 30-50 days to process the refund. Such an attitude!

Watch out for these guys. If you are considering using AirAsiaX, It might be a good idea to develop a plan B... just in case.
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 03:27 PM

I just flew Air Asia on a short flight within Thailand; I don't know how much of my experience is relevant to long haul flights with them. We departed and arrived 20 minutes early. The seat pitch is really tight. They charged a few hundred baht for being 2 kg overweight on their 15 kg checked bag limit.