? about AA frequent ff award MAD to JFK

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 240,000 miles on AA. I am looking for award flights for Monday Oct. 11, MAD to JFK. I can find a non-stop flight that is available for 30,000 miles,if I am reading it right.My question is...the next screen shows a seating chart. It has many seats available. Does that mean those are the seats I can choose for my award?...or are those just for anyone buying tickets. What do I do next?

Thank you..
Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 11:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
If what you are asking is if you may select one of those seats for your seat assitnment then the answer is Yes. The seats shown should be the ones that are available from which u may pick a seat. It does not mean that there are that number of seats available for frequent flier awards.
Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks.
Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 02:56 PM

This cannot possibly end well.
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 03:18 PM

AA will only show you the seats that are available to you.

If they have set aside, as an example 10 seats for ff awards, then they will show you all the seats that are available, but the limit is still 10 seats that will be reserved for ff seats. Here, it is a case of first come first served for all available seats.

You may notice that certain seats are blocked off. That is because they are held for Elite Award holders. You will particularly see this in the exit rows, and some seats at the front of the plane's economy section; as you won't have access to these rows unless you are Elite.

Iberia is an OK airline, which I've flown 5-6 times from the U.S.

Remember, if you book your seats, you can always go back online and change them if you wish. I check back fairly frequently as seats open and close often. If you think you can get better seats, then take them.

I would also check out www.seatguru.com to see which seats are better/worse than others. Give a coach seating of x-x-x, I try to sit in the middle section because it's further away from the engine noise, and usually not as cold. However, Iberia flies an AB340 long haul and the seating is 2-4-2. If there are 2 of you, I'd go with the 2 seatings.

Also, I prefer to be in the "front" economy cabin, as it is usually smaller and feels less like a cattle car.

BTW: I'm an AA lifetime Gold member.
Old May 7th, 2010, 11:35 PM

One additional thing to add. Even though you have AA miles you are using on Iberia, make sure you have the Iberia Locator Number(s) so that you can make changes through their system. AA won't help you in this.