AAdvantage DevAAluation

Old Apr 8th, 2014, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
AAdvantage DevAAluation

The other shoe has dropped at American Airlines with today's sudden devaluation of the AAdvantage frequent flyer program -

- New multi-tier "AAnytime" awards with drastically increased mileage requirements (distinct from "sAAver" awards, the capacity-controlled ones);

- Instant elimination of the "Explorer" award - the unique mileage-based award that was one of the best features of the program;

- Reduced benefits for Gold status holders;

- Instant elimination of the free "gateway stopover" provision on international awards.

AA gave no advance warning of these changes, so people with Explorer awards on hold or planned for the immediate future are SOL.

US Airways, the blushing bride, also changed (by increasing mileage requirements) its redemption tables today. The two FF plans are likely to be merged by year's end.

I say the "other shoe" but I'm not sure that AA, in these Days of Doug, isn't an octopus, so stay tuned.
Old Apr 8th, 2014, 06:04 PM
P_M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read about this in the news today and I was going to post a thread about it but I'm glad you beat me to it because you have more info. I had a bad feeling this was coming when the merger went through.
Old Apr 8th, 2014, 06:54 PM

Yep, no surprise and likely more to come. I'm looking for a way to burn my remaining AA miles, have gone back to Continental United where I stand a chance of hitting the 2MM mark before I retire. Of course, by then the industry may have changed so much that FF programs are no longer in play at all!
Old Apr 8th, 2014, 08:28 PM

DH and I have a little over 85,000 miles each with AA. I'm on the waitlist for a Biz Class upgrade for both of us on a FRA - IAH return flight in September. If that doesn't come through, then I will try to see if we can get reward tickets somewhere for a 2015 vacation.

At least it doesn't look like they have increased the miles and $$ for upgrades -- so far.
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 04:16 AM

I'm burning the last of mine with a BC ticket on Qantas to Sydney in August.
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 05:16 AM

Hardly a surprise. And I disagree that this has anything to do with the CEO or the merger. This is the direction of the industry as they have finally smartened up.