Layover in London

Old Apr 6th, 2014, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Layover in London

We are traveling to Basel in July for a river cruise. We have a 10 hour layover at Heathrow. Our first time in Europe for a very long time.
A couple of questions.
Booked with American to London and then on British Airways. One world alliance partner airlines.

Do we have to get our checked luggage and go through customs at Heathrow, or will it be transferred and held for our BA flight that leaves10 hours later?
Is 10 hours enough time to leave Heathrow and get around London for a bit of sightseeing?
If we leave the airport will we have to go though Immigration control going and coming back to the airport?
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 05:20 AM

As long as this itinerary was issued on one ticket, your bags will be transferred automatically to your second flight. You'll see them in Basel.

If you decide to leave the airport, you go through immigration because you officially enter the UK.
Old Apr 8th, 2014, 01:36 PM

Do we have to get our checked luggage and go through customs at Heathrow, or will it be transferred and held for our BA flight that leaves10 hours later?

They should be transferred.

If we leave the airport will we have to go though Immigration control going and coming back to the airport?

You will go through immigration upon arrival, which can take from 10 minutes to over an hour.

You will not go through immigration on the way back, but will go through security, which usually takes me little more than around 15 minutes or so. I do use the elite lines, but it honestly doesn't seem like it makes much difference.

With 10 hours, you should have time to head into London. No guarantee you won't be too tired to take advantage, though. I did this on my last trip and regretted it shortly after I finished lunch.
Old Apr 8th, 2014, 06:15 PM
P_M

The last time I came through LHR I spent close to an hour going through security. That was a non-elite line so if you are flying coach please bear that in mind and allow plenty of time to clear security on your return to LHR.
Old Apr 8th, 2014, 10:24 PM

Security does not usually take very long at T5 which is where BA fly from to Basel. T3 is the terminal where security lines can be very long at certain times of the day.
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 11:11 AM

Don't try and slide in at the last minute:
•You must have entered Security at least 35 minutes before your flight departs.
•You must be at your boarding gate at least 20 minutes before your flight departs.
•If you do not meet these times, you will not be allowed on to your flight.
https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...on-heathrow-t5