AA changed flight with only 2 hrs at JFK

Old Mar 24th, 2022, 12:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AA changed flight with only 2 hrs at JFK

Hi All,
Flying from Punta cana - JFK - London

All flights booked via AA all on one ticket, they've just changed the schedule and instead of a 4hr connection at JFK its now just 1hr 55mins

Will this be enough for international to international flights? do we need to claim our bags at JFK and recheck them in?

I know this may be asked before,however times have changed now so I was looking for updated information,

Any help would be appreiated

Last edited by moragjamieson3742; Mar 24th, 2022 at 12:59 AM.
Old Mar 24th, 2022, 08:06 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors. AFAIK, with the exception of some flights from Canada and Ireland, just about all international arrivals one must collect bags, and clear customs/Border Patrol and security. There is no 'airside' connection. It would help a LOT if you traveled carry-on only because you could skip the wait for luggage. You are protected and AA will put you on the next available flight if you miss your connection, but that may not be for hours or even the next day . . .
Old Mar 24th, 2022, 12:35 PM

You always have to clear immigration & customs at the first point of entry in the US.

1hr55mins is a bit tight for a US connection but with luggage you might find there is a dropoff point for it after customs, ask at check in and see if your luggage is tagged to final destination.

There are many flights JFKLON to both Heathrow & Gatwick so if you miss your connection, you should be put on the next available flight without too much difficulty.PS there are direct flights Punta Cana-London
Old Mar 24th, 2022, 01:56 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by balthy
You always have to clear immigration & customs at the first point of entry in the US.

1hr55mins is a bit tight for a US connection but with luggage you might find there is a dropoff point for it after customs, ask at check in and see if your luggage is tagged to final destination.

Yes, as I said above, one does have to clear Immigration and Customs.* Your luggage WILL be tagged through to your final destination at Puna Cana, no need to ask anyone, that's just how it works. Even though it is tagged for London, you'll collect it at JFK, go through Customs and there is a drop zone where they collect all the onward luggage. You can't miss it because all 'arrivee's' follow the same path and you'll walk right through the drop zone. Then on to security - there is no additional checking in.

* (But not 'always' - when flying in from Canada or Ireland - and the Bahamas and UAE - because they do all the customs and pre-clearance at the departure airport so one is essentially on a domestic flight. But that doesn't apply in your case.)
Old Mar 24th, 2022, 02:10 PM

You probably don't have to accept that change. Consider it to be one of several options - you might be able to find one that suits you better.
Old Mar 26th, 2022, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for replys everyone, it lets me gage exactly what we're doing when we arrive at JFK, this holidays been resheduled 3 times in the last 2 years and orginally we were booked with BA direct to london, but they cancelled the flight and we had credit with AA so have went down this route, dont see any other alternatives at the moment, but I'll keep looking.
Only consolation is its on way home I would have been more bothered if it was going out.

Thanks again for the info