Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I have 2 hrs. in Bath and 1.5 hrs. in Oxford-what should I be sure to see?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2001, 11:22 AM
Sammy

As part of a trip I'm taking, I'll have the above cited allowable time in the following cities. Keeping the time frames in mind, what are "must sees" for quick visits? Thank you.

Old Jan 19th, 2001, 11:44 AM
Sue

You should have time enough in Bath to see the Roman baths, which are quite interesting and probably near where you will be let off.

Old Jan 19th, 2001, 12:25 PM
elaine

Try and get maps of the cities, especially Oxford before you go. <BR>There is a very good suggested walking tour of Oxford (you'll have to shorten it) and a map of the city center in the book "Day trips London" by Steinbicker, <BR>which is useful for Bath as well. <BR>I would want to see some of the Colleges <BR>which means walking through the university area and entering some of the <BR>college quadrangles which may be open to the public on the day you are there. <BR>The Oxford tourist information center is at the Old School Gloucester Green, opposite the bus station.They sell maps. <BR>also, www.ox.ac.uk/ and <BR>www.oxfordcity.co.uk/ <BR>For info on Bath <BR>www.bath.co.uk <BR>The Bath Tourist Information Centre is in The Colonnades at 11-13 Bath Street, just west of the Roman Baths. See the Roman baths as suggested, and the Abbey, but wander out a bit from the crowded area around the Abbey toward the Royal Crescent, and <BR>see the gorgeous architecture. <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 19th, 2001, 01:29 PM
Debbie

Bath is one of my favorite towns. <BR> <BR>When you go into the shops by the Roman baths ( it is a large pedestrian area, like a square) you should be able to purchase a "walking tour of bath" map. It will give you the path to take for your own walking tour, along with some tidbits on why each site is important. <BR> <BR>When we were there we went on the free guided walking tour, but it is at set times, and I don't remember how long it takes. Maybe someone else will be able to refresh my memory. <BR> <BR>Debbie

Old Jan 21st, 2001, 04:28 PM
Joe

For Bath you can briefly see the following (in this order or vice versa) - Royal Crescent, The Circus, Gay St (Georgian houses and Jane Austen Centre), George St (nice architecture), Milsom St (main shops), Bath Abbey, Roman Baths, Pulteney Bridge (and the weir).

Old Jan 21st, 2001, 04:59 PM
wendy

I recommend the Costume Museum in Bath. I absolutely loved it. It's got dresses and outfits going back centuries. If you're at all into clothes or fashion, you can't miss it.