Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

90 minutes at Brisbane airport - enough time?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2014, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Delta/Virgin Australia changed my departure flight. My original flight was LAX/MEL/LST.

LV. LAX 23:20pm AR. MEL 9:05am (2 days later)
LV. MEL 13:10pm AR. LST 14:15pm

My new schedule: LAX/BNE/MEL/LST

LV. LAX 23:20pm AR. BNE 6:25am
LV. BNE 7:55am AR. MEL 11:20am
LV. MEL 13:10 AR. LST 14:15pm

My concern is this: Since I only have 90 minutes at Brisbane, and I need to get some cash at the ATM. If my flight from LAX is delay, I will never be able to catch the 7:55am flight. There is a 9:55am flight to MEL arrives at 13:15pm, which means that I will miss the 13:10pm flight to LST. I booked this all in one ticket, so I know the airline will arrange for me to get there. I just have to spend more time at the airport and won’t arrive LST until the evening.

My questions;

At this point I don’t even know if I need to change plane. If I do, do I have enough time for immigration check-in and change terminal in 90 minutes. I assume I have to change from Int’l to domestic terminal.

How far between the 2 terminals. I check Google Map, and it doesn’t look like that far. Is it walking distance?

Please advise. Thanks.
Old Aug 3rd, 2014, 05:07 PM

Hi, I've never had to do the transfer but I found this for you:

http://www.airtrain.com.au/products_transfer.php

That should help you out.

Lavandula
Old Aug 3rd, 2014, 05:10 PM

Is it a different flight number from BNE to MEL? I think you had better confirm with Virgin if you have to change planes and where the flights leave from because it would be a royal pain to have to change terminals.

Lavandula
Old Aug 3rd, 2014, 05:16 PM

I reckon you would have to change planes, and also transfer from International to Domestic terminal. There is a shuttle bus, might be quicker than the airtrain which runs very 30 mins.

You will go through immigration in Brisbane, lines can be long depending on how many flights arrive at the time. You might make it if your LAX - BNE flight is on time.

If you do have to spend time in the airports, BNE and MEL have enough to do to fill a few hours, both have free wifi.

Geez, they are taking you the long way round...
Old Aug 4th, 2014, 07:07 AM

Why wait till you land to get local currency? Get some from a bank or currency exchange before you leave home. It may cost you a little more, but well worth it to have one less thing to worry about.
Old Sep 10th, 2014, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Update: I called Delta and was able to get the nicest lady from Utah who spent over 46 minutes to help me. She agreed that 90 minutes is too tight. Finally she put together a new schedule for me. Flying Virgin Australia all the way with Delta Skymiles!

LV. LAX 22:50pm AR. SYD 7:50am (2 days later)
LV. SYD 10:30am AR. LST 12:15pm

She even obtained all the seats without having me contacting VA! I just have to pay an additional $20.40/tix because Sydney airport fee is higher, I suppose.

I will have an extra hour to get some cash from the ATM and make my connection without going to Brisbane and arrive in Launceston 2 hours earlier.

I have not purchased any local currency or used travel checks for over 20 years.