Search

zanzibar accomodations?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
zanzibar accomodations?

Hi All,
Any recommendations for reasonable accomodations in zanzibar in Dec 07? My tour operator is recommending Matemwe Beach Village. It seems fine - but I'm wondering if there is anything better in a similar price range or anything funner.

thanks,
Dhruv
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 07:09 AM

Don't stay at the Clove Hotel in Stone Town. The owner/hostess is as helpful as anyone could be and really goes out of her way to facilitate your visit. It is in a perfect location, too. BUT: the single room I had was the barest, grimest accommodation imaginable. All I can say for it is that it was cheap, about US $20/night, including a rather skimpy breakfast. I feel bad writing this, but I want to be honest. I don't know how some guide books (I can't remember which) can include this hotel in their recommended list. ZZ
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 01:57 PM

I would highly recommend the Clove Hotel! I stayed there last summer and really enjoyed my stay. It's in a great location and has a lovely roof terrace. The owner is very helpful. My room was fine, very clean and a comfortable bed, although I paid $35 per night. Looking back at the email I recieved when booking, the dates I wanted were not available and Lisette emailed back saying she had a small single room available on those dates, which she didn't class as a standard room available for $25. I booked a normal room for a few days later. Maybe this was the room you got.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 06:56 AM

A message for Cassius: I am glad to hear this. There were so many guests that I couldn't understand the hotel's popularity if other rooms were as mine. One thing that I did not mention about my room was that there was no window, just a shutter that did not open, and that the "window" opened onto a family's courtyard. The "lady of the house" screamed at her kids incessantly and I could hear almost all household activities, including small children crying out in their sleep at night and breakfast preparations at 5 a.m. (it was Ramadan). Being positive about this, I tried to tell myself that I was learning how people really live on Zanzibar. ZZ
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 08:25 AM
sandi

Clove Hotel is in Stone Town. The OP is asking about a beach resort... Matemwe Beach being on the Northeast coast.