Zambia Selfdrive

Nov 5th, 2005, 01:00 AM
Fil
Original Poster

Zambia Selfdrive

I live in Angola/ Luanda. I have already visited Namibia/ Vic Falls, driving from Windhoek. Now I intend to fly to Lusaka and self drive around Zambia. Any sugesttion? itīs possible? itīs safe?
Nov 5th, 2005, 09:56 AM

The roads are much better then Angola. The authorities not as mercenary. There are a lot of checkpoints on the main highways, but mostly the police are helpful there. You may want to consider carrying some extra soda for them. It seems part of the lingo they learn in training is-"What have you got for me today?" The people are extremely friendly and it is mostly minor theft that is considered a problem. If you live in Angola, you know the drill. Potholes seem to have a life of their own in certain sections. None and when at ease, a massive one. Rentals are expensive in Zambia. Be sure to get a decent map. Map Studio is good for going to most places. If renting a 4x4 and planning a creative route, I can be of more assistance.
Nov 6th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Fil
Original Poster

Tks.
Are you in Zambia?
From Lusaka (if I only have a weeck to spend), witch park, or places, should I choose?
Nov 6th, 2005, 12:52 PM

In the states currently. With one week. Hmmmm. Driving a 4x4. Foreigner. The good options are

South Luangwa-one long full days drive there, but very good and inexpensive campsite/lodges. Those being Wildlife and Flatdogs. You can't camp in the park but both p;aces are on the river and get plenty of game. Some good maps of park roads.

LZNP is much closer but not as well set up as SLNP for self drive. And game viewing not as good in my opinion when on your own. The camps have taken the good spots in the area and let you know. Besides, you cannot camp in the park without a good reason-breakdown.

I'm not as impressed with Kafue. But this is a good place for self drive with campsites in the park and I do bush camping-though not legal. I don't think the game is up to the other parks standards.

One of my favorites is right across the river in Zimbabwe. Mana Pools. Game viewing is superior. You have campsites, chalets and even lodges. Most fronting the river. And inexpensive. Can walk on your own in the park if you dare or hire a game scout to lead. The game have the run of all the camps and I have had lions, buffalo, Hyenas, hippos, ellies in the camp all in the same day.Good places to game drive in the park and the most scenic of all. The big difference in

Mana Pools and LZNP you wonder.

Poaching continued well into the '90's in the LZNP, so the game is more habituated to tourists in Mana Pools. There are more game in Mana Pools by just geographics. LZNP got the hilly and escarpment sections and Mana Pools has more flatter area that for what ever reasons is conducive to wildlife.

Wild dog in all of the parks. Good luck locating them in Kafue because most are in the Southern part and hardly any tracks. 6 packs in the Northern section, but again not as often seen. SLNP and LZNP is a hit and miss thing- but seems more reports recently. Mana Pools is where I have had several encounters but in small packs.

Nov 6th, 2005, 01:08 PM

Also, If you are renting a car, then it down to just 2 parks. South Luangwa and Mana Pools. With South Luangwa-if the rental agency will let you go down the corrigated road between Chipata and Mfuwe- you can stay at Wildlife or Flatdogs and do the game drives-nite and day-and bush walking with their guides.
Flatdogs website- www.campafrica.com
Wildlife-don't know if they have one.

Mana Pools is tar to park entrance, then good/fair road to campsite/chalets. Again check with agency to see if they allow cross border and park.
Nov 7th, 2005, 06:47 AM

I have driven Zambia. yes it is safe and yes it is possible.

However you need to be prepared. Take a 4x4, not all the roads are tarred and others that are run out of tar en-route subjecting your vehicle to merciless conditions.

All areas generally are acceptable, however the further a field you travel the more creative you will need to be: There aren't rest stops at each junction, gas tsations do not line the roads etc. take extra gas, take extra gas containers and be prepared for the odd tyre blow out and so on.

Where do you intend travelling and how long do you intend being on the road?
Nov 7th, 2005, 07:56 AM

I have visited several of Zambia's parks. You can't go wrong with South
Luangwa, the access is easy. Depending on time and interest I recommend North Luangwa and Northern Kafue (Busanga plains) despite the difficulty in visiting both. They are remote and you will encounter few if any. Northern
Luangwa seems to have a new campsite (access used to be limited to staying operators). On smaller scales, Luambe
is close to South Luangwa and makes
for a nice few days by the river.
Nov 7th, 2005, 08:34 AM

North Luangwa would be good if one was going to stay at one of the 3 bushcamps in the park. True there is a new community campsite near the park entrance and you can traverse the park in the Northern section. But until you get closer to the Luangwa, there is very little game because of the lack of water-no river or waterholes. Then it is over by pontoon to the gma across the river that is hunted and poached. I like this area because it is not so well visited by tourists and the villages interesting, but the chances of seeing game is low.
Then the next stop is Luambe NP at their campsite/chalets or South Luangwa-all off road stuff. Some of the tracks depending on which way you go are quite demanding. Going this circuitous route is alot if driving in one week, leaving maybe 3 days for game viewing.

My personal view of the route from The Great North Rd. To the Great East Rd is that it is the only reasonable way travellers can cut across without going back to Lusaka if for example they are coming from Tanzania and want to go to SLNP. That excludes the Mupamadzi cooridor which can be a bitch to do on your own.

Search this Thread