Yellow Fevor innoculation revisited

Old Apr 11th, 2013, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yellow Fevor innoculation revisited

As most of you know, wife and I and another couple (friends) will be going on Safari to Kenya and Tanzania in July and I know that coming from Kenya to Tanzania requires a YF certificate.

The latest wrinkle is that my friend (65 +) went to his doctor today intending to get the YF shot which doc administers. His doc advised that he NOT get the shot because the doc, a few years ago, got the shot prior to going to Africa and he developed hepatitis from it. My friends doc said that he would write a letter stating something like due to age and health concerns he (doc) advises against shot.

Now, wife and I are in a quandary as to what to do. I am 71 (look and feel like 51) and wife is a few years younger and also in very good health. We both have antibodies for HEP A.

I just don't want to get there and with only a letter be hassled by the border authorities or worse, not be allowed into country.

Our thoughts continue to be that we will be getting the shot.

Your thoughts and comments always appreciated.
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 06:53 PM

My wife and I, age 68 and 73 have a Certificate of Medical Contradiction to Vacination, stating that we cannot be vaccinated against yellow fever because of the following reason, in our case it stated age related. The certificate is a yellow Government of Canada card,issued by travel clinic and stamped with YFVC (yellow fever vacination center) stamp. We were never asked for it when we entered Tanzania direct or Zanzibar.
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 04:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Where are you coming from and what countries are you going through? I think TZ requires the shot or the exception letter in the yellow booklet if you're coming from Kenya. But if you're coming from the US through Europe direct to TZ, you don't need the shot. We weren't even asked about the yellow booklet with the record of vaccinations.
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 12:31 PM

DH,65+ just got shot...no issues. We questioned getting it due to age but our doc says she gives them routinely to people over 65 and has never had an issue. Everyone is different so you can't predict if you will be the lucky one with the issue.
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 02:08 PM

Hep A from an inoc for YF? Duh! Something wrong with the needle, me thinks. Reused maybe? Terrible for whomever this happened, but for sure it didn't happen because he had the YF inoc itself.

If for 'age' as others mentioned a letter from doc on his/her letterhead should suffice.
Old Apr 13th, 2013, 12:50 AM

i am on an immunosuppressant, so was told not to get the shot. however, after many conversations with the dr. and such, went off my meds for a few weeks and got the vaccination. i had no problems with it and was happy to be vaccinated... i guess when you face something like this, it falls under the "who knows?" category!
Old May 4th, 2013, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

We finally made a tentative appointment to get YF shot on 17th of May. Because there is still some trepidation here , I read up a little more about possible side affects of getting shot.

OK, we all know about MILD problems such as, soreness, redness, or swelling, or fever or aches. If these symptoms occur, they usually begin soon after shot and can last 5-10 days. Studies show that as many as 25% get these reactions.

SEVERE PROBLEMS based on passive reporting:
Life threatening allergic reaction-approximately 1 reported per 131,000 doses.

Severe nervous system reactions: approx. 1 reported per 150,000-250,000 doses.

Life threatening severe illness with major organ system failure: approx. 1 per 200,000 to 300,000 doses OR PER 40,000 TO 50,000 DOSES IN PEOPLE 60 YEARS OF AGE AND OLDER. MORE THAN HALF OF THE PEOPLE WHO SUFFER THESE SIDE EFFECTS DIE.

We are 71 and 68 ! OK, I know.....1 in 40,000-50,000 ! The odds are in our favor....we have good health immune systems....One still thinks twice when they mention the chance of dieing. We certainly are not yet ready to go beyond. We are healthy and strong and are looking toward many exciting adventures yet to take in the ensuing years.

As I mentioned before, our friend has decided to get the waiver letter from his doc. In the end, one has to weigh the risks of not getting shot which are: fever and flu-like illness, jaundice ( yellow skin or eyes), liver, kidney, respiratory and organ system failure, vomiting blood and death; along with the risks of getting the shot.

Do you think this has been on my mind of late???? I guess so !!

Any thoughts, opinions, stories, reactions received are greatly appreciated.
Old May 4th, 2013, 12:12 PM

Maybe read up on possible reactions to 'aspirin' = guess after you might never take one of these again.

No two people are the same and one time you might have no reaction to something, whether an inoc or even food, and then - surprise, you do.

I've had the YF jab twice and the most recent getting close to that magic number, and with not a red mark, itching, swelling... nayda, nothing - and I'm allergic to a number of things in general day-to-day living.

What I'm trying to say - it's in your hands. If you do have qualms and as a waiver not to have this jab is available, only you can decide. Make it one way or another and don't fret whether you do or not. It's no way to start a holiday.
Old May 4th, 2013, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

ok Sandi,
I know you are correct..and I know that after this fretting that we will take the shot.

As Always, thanks for your input.
Old May 16th, 2013, 12:45 PM

I am going to Tanzania in July and did get the YF vacine. I had no side affects at all
Old May 19th, 2013, 06:40 AM

The good news is that one shot should be enough for life. No more boosters:

/www.nytimes.com/2013/05/18/health/single-yellow-fever-shot-offers-lifetime-protection-who-says.html
Old May 19th, 2013, 06:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, that's nice to know. Although I just got the shot at age 65 and figured I might not need another one anyway. I had to get a permission letter from my doctor before Passport Travel would give me the shot, but I had no side effects whatsoever.

In the light of that news people approaching 60 who think they might need the shot later might want to go ahead and get one before turning 60.
Old May 20th, 2013, 10:30 AM

That's sure good to know. About time so interesting advances.

In interview with Bill Gates recently, as he's putting much of his wealth in erradicating many diseases, he feels positive that Polio will be entirely gone in a few. Malaria though, still has some years to go, even with recent tests on an inoc showing about 40% efficacy, his guess 'still not soon enough.'
Old May 22nd, 2013, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Hello All,
Well, after all is said and done, there is nothing to it ! Ha! Ha! Wife and I got the shot last Friday and so far , absolutely no reaction. Funny thing is that when Ingrid was given the shot, she had a little drop of blood at the site. After administering the shot to me, the nurse was looking and feeling the area and I asked her why. There was not even a drop of blood to be seen. Hmmmm!

So that's that ! Thanks for all your comments and feedback.

The next thing is to get the Malaron prescription filled!!