Yellow Fever Shot for Tanzania

Old Jul 1st, 2011, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yellow Fever Shot for Tanzania

Let's get to the bottom of this: Does Tanzania require Yellow Fever shot from US clients who are arriving directly from the US to Tanzania???
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 01:59 PM

No not REQUIRED for direct arrivals from the US

http://www.mdtravelhealth.com/destin...a/tanzania.php

Correct CDC health info.

Happy Travels,
Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 03:32 AM

See also "Medical Alert" on this page:

http://www.tanzaniaembassy-us.org/tz...=365&Itemid=76

I just got back from Tanzania. I had transited in Kenya less than 12 hours and when I arrived at Dar Es Salaam I was asked by an immigration officer for my YF certificate. Even as I looked for it in my paperwork, the officer said not to worry about it. Still, I was glad I had it.
Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 08:06 AM

SORRY FOLKS (you too qwovadis), RULES ARE CHANGED AND HAVE BEEN SINCE RECENT BREAKOUT OF YELLOW FEVER IN UGANDA (a few months back).

See link provided above under Medical Alert!

Tanzania (also Zanzibar, Pemba, Mafia Islands) requires that ALL visitors arriving at their airports and border crossings have Yellow Fever inoculation and proof of same for entry. Period the end! That's it.

Yellow Fever is a live vaccine, so only if one is allergic to eggs, in contraindication with other drugs visitor may be taking or age, can visitor obtain a "waiver" from their doctor written on their letterhead to this effect.

Still, there is no guarantee that a Health official will be on hand at airports or border crossings to request/show of proof, but if he/she is and you don't have, they will give you the jab right on site at a fee of $50.

Everyone, whether government agencies, doctors, travel agents, etc. better get with the program until such time as they may change the rules. For now it is what it is!
Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Sandy,

Thanks so much for your input. However, I went to Tanzania Embassy FAQ
http://www.tanzaniaembassy-us.org/tzefaq.html

and you can see the following information (Item 7) regarding Yellow Fever: My question was whether direct US arrivals (coming straight from the USA) need Yellow Fever innoculation.

Is Yellow fever vaccination (Y.F.V.) necessary?
It is not compulsory, if you are travelling straight to Tanzania from U.S or just connecting flights from any airports in the World. (If you are entering Tanzania through other Countries, please refer to the visa section of our website for more information).

I will phone Tanzania Embassy to clarify.
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 11:07 AM

mkulove -

The info you show/link is on the FAQ page, but if you click the Home page on same site and scroll down as noted by sdb2 above to "Medical Alert" you will see the current info re YF inoc.

Seems whomever updated the Home page forgot about the FAQ page. Unfortunately also, whomever updated the YF Medical Alert did not date the info, however by phone call to the Embassy it was indicated that the Home page info is correct.

Personally, confronting an Immigration Officer anywhere is not the way I'd want to commence a holiday. Having a jab on site in a strange country wouldn't be something to look forward to.

So, if it says you need, you get before traveling; if you can't then have the waiver letter.
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 02:03 PM

I was in Tanzania two years ago, and in Dar airport I was not asked fort he YF proof. But in Zanzibar harbour, they asked and checked.
As I know, if arriving directly (by air) in Zanzibar from a non-YF country, the vaccine is not required.
But a doctor with large experience in Africa told me YF is something to be scared of, not like malaria. So I took the vaccine, and I'm set for 10 years.
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 07:53 AM

altero - lots can change in 2/yrs.

Notice received Feb 11, said only those arriving from sub-Saharan or South American countries required the YF inoc.

Subsequently updated, as reflected on the Tanzania Embassy/US website that now ALL visitors require the jab.

Whether it will be asked for or not, who knows... but for all of those traveling to Tanzania/Zanzibar or other islands... get the jab (unless traveler qualifies for one of the exemptions - allergy to eggs, contraindication with other drugs or age - have a waiver letter on docs l/h for presentation).

While YF is expensive ($150-$225), it lasts for 10/years, so in the scheme of things and cost of the entire trip... only a few $$s a year.

This horse has been beaten to death, here on Fodors and Trip Adviser... time for us to stop (poor, poor, horse! ). These are the current rules, till such time as they're changed!