Yellow fever jabs

Old Apr 9th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yellow fever jabs

My wife and I will be on safari in Tanzania during the summer (Northern Circuit)before flying from Arusha into Zanzibar. Although I know Yellow fever is recomended I do need to know if it is compulsory. If we do not have the cirtificate will we be refused entry.I have read a number of conflicting accounts of the current situation My wife has a number of allegies which suggests the live vaccine for yellow fever may cause her some difficulty. I would be keen to know if travellers from Arusha arriving in Zanzibar are asked to produce/show the proof of vacination.
Many Thanks
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 07:46 AM

I have this same questions, but for Uganda and Rwanda? Due to the medicine I take for my RA , I am not supposed to get a Yellow Fever shot. But I really, REALLY, want to go to Uganda and Rwanda to see the mountian gorillas.

kevanF... I understand that you can get a medical waiver note (attached to your yellow vacination card) from your doctor that says you can't get the YF shot but would still allow you to enter YF effected countries. However, you do so at your own risk.

Just wondering how diligent some of these countries are at requiring proof of vacination.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 12:09 PM

The rationale for requireing the Yellow Fever Vaccine certificate for foreigners is not for the travellers protection, but to prevent the foreigner (you) from bringing Yellow Fever into their country. If one has traveled in a country with endemic Yellow Fever (YF) within the past 1-12 months( the time varies between different African nations) they may deny you entry. Also, if you have visited a YF territory on another Continent (South America, for example), they may deny you entry without a YF certificate. Once more, they aren't doing this for your protection, they are doing it because they want to keep you from importing YF. They seldom, if ever, deny westerners ent for Yellow Fever issues but they are within their rights to enforce that restriction if they feel they have cause. Many people who travel into and out of YF zones in Africa and South America are vaccinated just to avoid any hassels at the borders. Certainly getting the YF vaccine if you are not planning to travel to a country Yellow Fever is unecessary. If they were worried about your health they would require, Hepatitis A & B, Typhoid and Tetanus at the very least.
Hope this is clear.
Chuck
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 12:28 PM

Kevan -

Chuck is right on.
If a visitor to Kenya or Tanzania are coming direct from a western country (the US, Canada, most of Europe, etc.), and not having been in a country where YF is endemic, then you do not require a YF inoc or the YF card.

That said, if you happen to then, after being in Kenya or Tanzania, travel to another country where YF is required, then you'd have to present proof of YF inoc. And, for any such country, the number of month prior to entering will vary.

As example: if you were to travel to South Africa, you'd have to have had the YF inoc and YF card to prove this.

... and then there is the waiver, for those who for some reason cannot take a YF inoc, i.e., your wife.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 02:26 PM

So from the US to Kenya on to Rwanda on to Tanzania back to Kenya back to the US do we have to have a YF Vaccination?

Thanks for the help.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 02:52 PM

Cheweyhead, The short answer is yes. Rwanda will require YF from anywhere (at least that's what is on the books) and you don't want to agrue the point with an immigration official. Rwanda has the more stringent requirement of YF vaccine for all travellers. Furthermore, you will be coming from Kenya, an endemic YF region so it most certainly will be required. Tanzania may also require it because by then you will have spent time in two African countries with endemic Yellow Fever. What health officials can do is to require you be quarantined to the airport area until other members of your party return. Public health is treated differently in third world nations so they may be more forgiving but I would never risk it. Get vaccinated and forget it.
Chuck
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 03:00 PM

Cheweyhead, I just noticed that you used Yvette De Vries, at African Portfolio, she is our agent as well. I speak with her about once a week. We are off to Bots in a few weeks, then Tanzania next February and then back to Bots. She is a great agent, hope you are palanning lots more safaris .
Chuck
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 07:22 AM

Yes we love Yvette.
We set up our Botswana and South Africa Sept.2005 trip with her. She and the trip - fantastic.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies however apart from general good advice no-one has really answered my question. There is conflicting advice regarding the need to produce a yellow fever certificate to enter Zanzibar when arriving from mainland Tanzania.We are travelling directly from the West into Tanzania then spending 5 days in Zanzibar. I really would like to know if I can enter Zanzibar without a certificate.Do the authorities in Zanzibar rigourously check?
Any first hand knowledge or recent experrience would really help.
Thanks
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 01:16 PM

kevan -

No YF certificate is required for entry to ZNZ from mainland Tanzania.

Sorry, if we all ran off jibber-jabber, and didn't "get it."

Your question is justified, as about 3/yrs ago (believe '04) there was a rule that even for Tanzanians living on the mainland traveling to ZNZ, had to show proof of YF inoc. Makes sense, for islands anywhere wanting keep out what they don't need. However, in '04 this requirement was lifted along with the need for YF proof if arriving direct from western countries to either Kenya or Tanzania.

... and on and on as detailed in all those posts above.