Yellow Fever Certificate

May 24th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Yellow Fever Certificate

I got all my shots including yellow fever a couple of months ago. At the time, I figured (I think by implication from things I'd been reading) that copies of my immunization record that showed the yellow fever vaccinations in March 2009 should be good but everything I've been checking this last week prior to traveling to Nairobi says the YF certificate is needed, nothing about immunization records.

So ... anyone have first-hand experience with this? I will need to run to the clinic to get this certificate on Tuesday if my shot records aren't good enough. Thanks in advance.
May 24th, 2009, 06:01 PM

If you have the multi-folded yellow card stock record of immunizations (I forget it's formal name) on which the shots were recorded, that is your 'certificate.'

But Kenya won't even check for it as you seem not to be going there after a country where YF is found.
May 24th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

My latest immunizations were recorded on the US Dept of Defense form that substitutes for the yellow book of immunizations and I'm bringing multiple copies. My tour company, GAP, says in their guide that the YF certificate is only needed if coming from an endemic country but I will be going from Kenya to Tanzania, Malawi, Namibia, Botswana and Zambia before finishing in South Africa so I think at a minimum SA will need it. I would think my immunization record would suffice but the literalmindedness of government officials seems to be a universal constant ...
May 24th, 2009, 06:59 PM

Of course you must have what you need....and of course you need the shots.

But I have to say I almost had to beg people to look at my yellow folder.....nobody seemed to care and they only took it and handed it right back wo/ even looking at it.

It was most disappointing!! Especially after all the $$$$!!!
May 24th, 2009, 07:37 PM

I have just had a yellow fever shot for an upcoming trip to Kenya and Tanzania. At the travel clinic (I'm in Canada), I was given a yellow fever certificate that is completely separate from my immunization record/book (I have had several shots for this trip, all of which are recorded in my book except the yellow fever). I was issued a special yellow fever certificate. The clinic even went so far as to ensure that the name on the certificate exactly matched my name as it appears on my passport. As for not needing it, there was a post on this forum not long ago by a couple who had forgotten their YF certificates and were stopped at the border. They were not able to proceed until the yellow fever certificates were faxed to them. So....make certain that you have the correct/necessary documents! Robin
May 25th, 2009, 02:36 AM

Hi, the only recognised proof of YF innoculation is the WHO Yellow Certificate.YF is the only innoculation requirement internationally.
Ivan
May 25th, 2009, 06:59 AM

Being a bit anal, I'd get the certificate because otherwise I'd be worried the whole plane ride over. I would not want my entire trip and all I paid for it to be disrupted by the lack of a yellow card.
May 25th, 2009, 01:47 PM

We have got a vaccination "passport" where also the YF vaccination is confirmed. The shots were executed by a health authority. I have no clue whether this is a WHO-thing or not...........ButI trust they know about the requirements.
Nobody asked for the certificate - neither in Kenya nor Tanzania.
And I assume IF we would have to produce the certificate it would have been sufficient.

Happy Landings!

SV
Jun 30th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Well, in answer to my own question, my US DoD computerized immunization record meets WHO standards to replace the yellow shot records but I was only asked for immunization records once on the whole trip -- I think it was entry to Zambia.
Jun 30th, 2009, 08:09 AM

If you are traveling from Kenya to Tanzania, Tanzania will require the YF documentation, as YF is endemic in Kenya.
Jun 30th, 2009, 08:16 AM

When we went to Tanzania last year we absolutely had to show our immunisation records. Whilst it's clear from anecdotal feedback that many travellers aren't asked, if you happen to arrive on a day they've decided to check, you're stuffed!
Jun 30th, 2009, 01:51 PM

... and YF is endemic in Tanzania.

Note: Kenya also now requires proof of YF inoculation if entering from Tanzania and other named African countries. It now goes both ways - Kenya/Tanzania and Tanzania/Kenya.

I have to get my YF booster. My now expired document was the YF booklet with authorized facility/physician stamped and signed. Contained in this booklet was space for documenting other immunizations (Tetanus, HepA, Polio, etc), which I had recorded, though none of them were "required" for entry to any country. Nor, have I have been asked about these other immunizations regardless where traveling.

While you may not be asked specifically for your YF card/booklet, many visitors have the document inside/together with their passport. It seems that whomever is stamping the passport notices that piece of yellow and assumes it is what it is!

In other words, have your documentation! And, smile to the agent!

Search this Thread