Which Luxury Lodge?

Jun 12th, 2009, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Which Luxury Lodge?

We are planning a trip for November 2009. At the end of our stay we would like to stay in a luxury lodge in the Sabi Sands area. We have previoulsy stayed at Singita and would like to explore other options. Any opinions/experiences withe Lion Sands, Leopard Hills, Sabi Sabi earth lodge or Rattray's at Mala Mala?
Jun 12th, 2009, 07:10 AM

I can only speak of Lion Sands of the ones that you mention. Ivory Lodge is absolutely beautiful with great game viewing. The food there is amongst the best in Sabi Sands and the rooms are gorgeous with views overlooking the Sabi River. I just stayed there for trip #4 and I am planning #5 there late next year.

Mike
Jun 12th, 2009, 08:10 AM

We just returned from 3 days at Earth Lodge. It was incredible. The game viewing was fantastic, the rooms are very private but note that they are "different"....looks as much like a termite mound as anything but very cool. We had an elephant drink out of our plunge pool while we were in the room! The food was fantastic, a new chef. Great service, I would go back without hesitation.
Jun 13th, 2009, 05:01 AM

I also stayed (9/07) at Lion Sands Ivory. Although I disagree about the food, the game viewing, and the rooms/cottages, were smashing. I would not hesitate to recommend.
Jun 13th, 2009, 05:25 AM

Hi kch246,

In the past I have stayed at Singita Boulders, Lion Sands Ivory and Rattray's MalaMala. I no longer stay at Singita or Lion Sands but I still go to MalaMala very regularly - both Main Camp and Rattray's. I have never been disappointed in the gameviewing at MM and that is my top priority. MalaMala does have a substantially bigger property and with the Sand River being a permanent water source, I believe it does give them better gameviewing with greater options. Generally speaking, the room must be very comfortable as I believe I pay for that. But for a treat in my time at Main Camp at MalaMala, I will go to Rattray's for 3 or 4 nights as it is my favourite luxury room by a long shot! I was happy with the food in all three, as long as I am fed I am happy, but this is not a big issue for me.

Singita got too expensive for what I was getting and Lion Sands went the same way.

Kind regards,
Kaye
Jun 16th, 2009, 04:55 PM

I stayed at Earth Lodge in Summer 2007 and it was great! Agree with FromDC that parts of the lodge reminded me of being inside a Termite Mound, but it was certainly luxurious. The food was delicious, our guide was top-notch, we saw great wildlife, and the rooms were spacious. I'd definitely go back in a second!