Which is the best hotel in Serengeti/mara

Old Oct 21st, 2004, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which is the best hotel in Serengeti/mara

We are celebrating an important anniverssary and would like to choose the best lodge/camp in the Serengeti or the Masai Mara.We don't mind the price, and right now we have in mind: Governor's camp, Bateluer, Gurmeti,Klein's camp. It's a very special occassion, and we want the best, and appreciate your opinions, to help us decide! Thanks (we are going Mid November)
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:17 AM
sandi

By mid-November the herds should be moving back into the Serengeti (from North heading south along the eastern side of the Serengeti. Klein's being in the northern area of those you list would be the best, though the Migration Camp would be a second option.

You mentioned in your other thread the dates in November, but where will you be prior these days and where will you be heading afterwards. As you'll have to consider transport to/from.

Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice.It's not our first safari, and since we fell in love with the safaris, we take the opportunity of only a weekend that we have, and go to Kenya or Tanzania. It means that we will arrive Nairobi on Nov 19 and probably take a private charter flight to one of the camps.In generaly, Are there a lot of residence animals in the Masai Mara. It's much easier for us to get there, so I wonder if there are animals left even if the migration is back to the Serenget? What do you thaink?
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 01:28 PM
sandi

hamitzer - very strange your response -

>>It's not our first safari... we take the opportunity of only a weekend that we have, and go to Kenya or Tanzania... and probably take a private charter flight to one of the camps... Are there a lot of residence animals in the Masai Mara... if there are animals left even if the migration is back to the Serenget?<<

For somone who - whenever they have a weekend fly to Kenya or Tanzania - and don't know what animals are in the Masai Mara?? Sorry to say, but they all pack up and leave.

Of course not, you won't lack for animal viewing and plenty of wildebeest, zebra and antelope remain and there are still others elephants, lions, monkeys, birds, and more and more. And don't you know you won't need a private charter to the Mara, there a scheduled flight in the morning and afternoon.

Go with Bateleur if you want to be pampered, but be aware that the interior of their tents are dark with not much lighting. I'd personally choose Saruni or Mara Explorer, but it's up to you. Or even Shompole which isn't exactly in/near the Mara rather on the border between Namanga and the southern Mara right on the border of Kenya and Tanzania.

Old Oct 24th, 2004, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Yes , we did few safaris before ,never went to Masai Mara ,so we don't know whats going on there to compare with the Serengerti. We usually go 'according to the books'-unfortunatly not always the animals read those books, and they are not exactly where they sopouse to be according to the seasons mentioned by 'the experts'. Since we usually have more time we are not worried-if there are less animals in one place- never mind-we trust we'll have more in our next stop. This is not the situation here when we have 3 days incl the arrival & departure and we would like to get reccommendations,not from the books(Surprise!! I'm able to read too!!) but from people who've been there in a similar season.So pls Sandi do'nt tell me where the animals should be...I have too many books myself!
And don't YOU know that some international flights arrive Nairobi after 4 p.m which makes it impossible to get there without private charter. Unless you have other information CC Africa advices that the last flight is at 4 p.m.
Regarding 'the light in the dark rooms ' in the Bateluer- i don't care since I'm not going to write my next book there... Can you simply say if it's clean or not especially the bathrooms(Serena's all over Tanzania were dirty, with crumpy bathrooms to compare for example to CC Africa's Crter Lodge) Thanks
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 02:29 PM
sandi

It sounded as if you had indeed been at the Mara, therefore my response, and while many of us read all the books, you're correct... the animals don't. From year to year it's difficult to say where the animals will be - on one of my visits they were still in the Mara in late November, as they were last year. Another poster mentioned that, if I recall correctly, that the year before last, the herds never made it to the Southeast Serengeti for the calving which takes place between January-March - they never got further then central Serengeti.

On the CCA site there is a link that shows a map indicating where the herds are right now and notations detailing current information. If you haven't seen it, check it out. I believe last I checked, the herds were still in the Mara - where or how far they may travel by the time you arrive, who knows? The times I've been in the Mara in November, there was plenty of excellent game viewing besides whatever animals remained from the Migration.

Of course, I realize flights arrive in NBO at various time, but since you hadn't mentioned where you were arriving from or when, I went with most all of the regularly scheduled flights from the Continent - either early morning or late evening to catch the regularly scheduled flights.

As to just how clean the bathrooms at any lodge/camp, all I can say about personal experience is that our rooms/tents were always spotless. Friends were recently at the CCA camps and no mention was made regarding this subject, so gather it was fine or I'm sure it would have jumped out at them and they would have said something.

There are camps that some people rave about as the best, that others would never consider spending time or money on. Often one camp is advertised and becomes know as "the best" (a good PR company) when there are many other "little secrets" - that's why I suggested you check out Saruni, Mara Explorer and Shompole. It's individual likes and preferences - sometimes too many choices.

The same friends who were recently at the CCA camps did, however, say that of all the properties, they liked Bateleur the most.

Old Oct 24th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks sandi , you've helped a lot. Since the Mara is more accessible and less of a problem with the flights,we will go there. Since it's 10 years of marriage we want also to enjoy the luxury of the camp,thanks again.
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 04:06 AM

Just got back from Tanzania (very tired!!)

Stayed 4 nights in Serena in Seronera area - already thousands of Wildebeest and Zebra there. One day we drove all the way up to the Kenya border, through the Lobo area to the Bologonja gate. There were very few animals in the Lobo area or between there and the border. Our guide said that 60% of the migration was already in the woodland area south of Lobo or in the Seronera area. The other 40% are still in the Mara.

There was quite a bit of rain in the Serengeti in the week or so before we got there but it has stopped now. However it was enough to make many animals head south. We also saw some confused herds with half pointing South and half pointing North - since the rains stopped some are heading back to the Mara.

So .......... by November they could already be all in the Serengeti ......... on the other hand they could still be on their way from the Mara!!! As has been said before, animals don't read the guide books they just follow the rain!
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 04:29 AM
sandi

Welcome Home RuthieC - you must tell us about your trip. But interesting to have your first-hand report for hamitzer and Steve007NY who will be departing soon. It seems that even CCA doesn't have it right on their site. Thanks for the input and when you've had the time to catch up, we'd like to hear about your adventure.

Old Oct 25th, 2004, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks RuthieC. I'm now more sure I will skip Grumeti & Klein's. i was told by CC africa Grumeti is the best in Mid November, but it was strange because this is not what I red. since i'm looking this time also for a very good accommodation and I dissliked Serengeti Serena last time , i will rellay on your report and Sandi's reccommendation and head for the Mara.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 02:27 PM

We returned from Africa 2 weeks ago and stayed at the Bateleur Camp.

It is SPECTACULAR.

Cleaner than clean. Friendly, great food, super staff.

Worth every penny and my husband said that he is already dying to return. We stayed at several CCA camps...all were wonderful though we loved Bateleur Camp the most and will for sure return there one day.

It is "tented" but very luxurious...and the service is second to none. We are from NYC and laughed about how you could never, ever buy that level of service in the states.

Enjoy your adventure.

Melissa