No bookings for Mara balloons during migration!

Jul 15th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

No bookings for Mara balloons during migration!

Just for what it's worth... I decided to book a balloon flight for September and kind of expected it would be too late or that I would have very limited choice of date. The latter is actually true, but because I was the only person who had made a booking for the 22nd September and they weren't willing to risk that they'd be flying only me.

We also decided we'd upgrade at Satao in Tsavo and were able to book the tent of our choice seven weeks out.

September isn't August and maybe I shouldn;t be surprised, but I am.
Jul 15th, 2008, 10:58 AM

the mara (and kenya as a whole) is still suffering from the post-election riots. there are many specials also during the migration which speaks for itself.
obviously there is a huge lack of bookings still.

which ballooning did you aske for? little governors?
aren't you flxible whit the date? for how long are you staying there?
maybe you should just leave your contact data so in case there are more bookings coming in they can reach you.

div
Jul 15th, 2008, 11:17 AM

Sorry to hear that. Maybe you'll be able to book something last minute while you're there. Any idea how many passengers they need to make it worthwhile?
Jul 15th, 2008, 04:30 PM

I'd bet some shillings you'll get a balloon ride if you pursue it when you arrive.
Jul 15th, 2008, 06:28 PM

I'm surprised that people are still staying away from Kenya. Very sad ........ the game viewing is PHENOMENAL!!! and the Serengeti herds weren't even there yet, when I visited.
Jul 18th, 2008, 09:03 AM

We were just there ( Masai Mara) from July 6 - 10 2008, we were out on every early morning game drive and for all that time, we only saw two balloons. But, I bet you can get something while you are there. Just keep trying - one of those days something might open up. I read somewhere that the balloons held 20 people but who knows if that is true.
Jul 18th, 2008, 11:52 AM

I haven't posted on this site for months, but thought its readers would be concerned to know that the wildebeest migration is in serious danger according to CNN because of the severe drop in tourism and it consequence of increased poaching of the wildebeest. Without the funds alloted to the ranger patrol of poaching, the numbers of wildebeest lost to poachers may endanger the entire migration--and thus so many other things. The migration is a sight to behold--and would be such an enormous loss to all.
Jul 20th, 2008, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, I feel stupid now (again). I did get a balloon ride - on the 23rd September. The only limits on dates were those where they had zero bookings... which is not by any means every day! It's not that bad!!

The worst thing is my career depends on my writing. Maybe I should be looking for a new job. :-<
Jul 20th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

And sorry ... I'm not one to post and run - I have been away with no Internet.