Search

Where can I HEAR Swahili?

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where can I HEAR Swahili?

Since I will be on a tour, I won't have much need or opportunity to speak and be spoken to, so my little Berlitz-type phrasebook will be fine - but I can't even make the most of that w/o actually hearing the spoken word -- so I can calibrate the book's phonetic spelling with an actual sound. Not interested in expensive language tapes, - but if anyone knows of a podcast or other downloads, that would be great. I know accents and dialects differ (for example, I've had my share of conversations with people who speak Senegalese French).People on this forum sometimes tend to answer in terms of what they know, rather than what was asked, so keep it simple guys.
And thanks for any help.
Jess
Old May 23rd, 2007, 12:15 PM

You said your aren't interested in expensive language tapes and I don't blame you -- but you might rent the tapes from recordedbooks.com -- not exactly cheap, let alone free, but for 14.50 plus shipping you could take the lessons and "tune up you ear." This is a very nice little company and seems to be very relaxed with their return policy (I'm often very, very late and they never peep.) Just a thought. Lots of Swahili music out there and I love it but I can't make sense of the actual words . . .
Old May 24th, 2007, 05:08 AM

Jess215,
To "hear" a few common words try http://www.transparent.com/languagep.../FsSwahili.htm

To acclimate your "ear" to KiSwahili before you visit you could listen to http://www.bbc.co.uk/swahili

Old May 24th, 2007, 05:58 AM

You can also get a little phrase book that comes with a tape/CD -- it's not expensive. "In Flight Swahili" is available from Amazon for around $12. It is simply a one-hour CD with really really simple lessons that get you started right away with a few useful phrases so you can say Hello, Good morning, please, thank you, etc.

You didn't mention where you are from, but you can look online if you don't have any big bookstores near you.
The important thing to remember when reading the phrase book is that Swahili accents the second-to-last syllable. Use the word 'Swahili' as a reminder: Swa-HEE-Lee.
And by the way, there are a few Swahili words you probably already know:
Safari means trip.
Simba means lion.

Old May 24th, 2007, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to each of you who replied -- the information was exactly what I am looking for.
Jess