what to do with an extra day?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2006, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Working on the details of our family trip (kids 17 & 21) in July. I am trying to change the order of our travel so that I can maximize our time, and it looks like I may get to have an extra day. Plan to start in Vic. Falls (Zambezi Sun)- 2 days, then to Tintswalo on safari - 2 1/2 days, then to Capetown- 3 days. Don't know whether to add it to Vic Falls so that we can visit Chobe OR to Capetown. In V. Falls, we plan to do the elephant ride and white water rafting, and our plans for Capetown focus on Winelands, Table Mountain, and shark experience while also grabbing anything else we can pack in. What would YOU do? And can you tell me more about Chobe for a day...how long a drive from Livingstone, tour operator for arrangements, etc? Thanks for the help!!
Old May 8th, 2006, 06:46 AM

In my opinion even one day is not enough extra time. An extra night in each Cape Town and Victoria Falls would make for a much more comfortable holiday, given the activities you wish to include.
Old May 8th, 2006, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Roccco: you have been great with your information, and it has made me want to do even more!! A common problem, I am sure! We have a total of 10 days fo rour trip, so somehow my own numbers don't add up, but I didn't relist may daily schedule in my last posting. I think I just omited the travel days or something.
Do you recommend trying to squeeze in Chobe to our Vic Falls itinerary? And would we better to make it a day trip or change to a lodge there? Loved your info on Chobe River Lodge, but thought that if it was do-able in a day trip that we wouldn't have to go thru the check-in/out process, etc.
Old May 8th, 2006, 08:01 AM

Decisions, decisions... we flew JNB-CPT, stayed in Capetown 4 days (so much to do here)flew to Vic Falls (3) drove to Chobe (3) flew to JNB to head home (a few of my friends went onto Kruger, Pilansburg, Sun City.

One day in Chobe ...hummm, you would love it but would want more. Maybe another trip spend more time there? There is certainly plenty to do in Capetown with an extra day. I won't have to do CPT next trip and can spend more time at the camps. I posted a short trip report and photos. Click on my name to find it. What a great trip, very diversed.
Old May 8th, 2006, 12:29 PM

You don't mention going out to Cape Point in your list of Cape Town activities. I would consider that a "must do" activity and it would be best as a full day experience. Which shark company are you thining about going with? We did a trip with White Shark Ecoventures and had a fabulous day!
Old May 8th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

After reading your replies and investigating other links, I think it makes more sense to add our extra day to Capetown. There is so much that we want to see and do there. Add Robben Island to my "must" list, and I can tell I need to have Cape Point on it, too. (stupid question from a fried brain: is that where the 2 oceans meet??)
As for the shark experience, I was hoping to hear recommendations on this; thanks, jcasale, for already providing one! Am I correct that I need to make that reservation in advance? Am also thinking that I should see if Selwynn is available to help us...might help to make the best use of our time. Please let me know if I need to plan something else! In case Selwynn is already booked, does someone have another recommendation?
Old May 8th, 2006, 03:47 PM

trvlcrzy,

You may see Selwyn's schedule by looking at this link:

http://ilovecapetown.com/Phototours.htm

You will also see hundreds of satisfied past customers.