1 day in Cape Town - is it worth it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2007, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to a safari in Botswana in July.

As an optional extension we can fly from Livingstone to Cape Town to spend there two nights and one full day. Or else we can spend the same time in Johanesburg. We are not sure if it is worth travelling that far for one day; on the other hand, this is our first and maybe last trip to Africa.
Opinions are appreciated.
Also, how cold/rainy is there in July. This will effect our decision too.
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 06:50 AM

I would do it but you will be rushed and see only a tiny amount of everything there. Is there no way to extend the Cape Town visit for longer?
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

To make it longer we'll have to sacrifice two days at Victoria Falls, which I am not convinced yet to do.
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 08:03 AM

I would go. Get a car and driver and take a tour around the cape. Stop to see the penguins, have lunch, visit the light house, enjoy the great views around the city. Then spend the rest of the day in the harbour area, have a nice dinner and you'll be very glad you came. We spent a day like that and it was well worth it.
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 08:10 AM

i would totally go.

more than 2 nights in victoria falls is too much, especially if you have already enjoyed a botswana safari...why do you need more time in vic falls?
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 08:10 AM

Victoria Falls can be seen in a single morning or afternoon. If it were me I'd do a day trip from Chobe to the falls and spend more time in Cape Town.

I spend three nights at the falls and was bored after a day.
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 08:21 AM

Cape Town for a day, that is a tease and not worth the expense of getting there. If you could allow yourself more time, then I would encourage you to make the journey.

What is your Bots itinerary? It might make more sence to find an additional two nights there or thereabouts to make better use of your time. No I would not give up the falls. I agree that seeing the falls can be done in a morning, however there is so much to do in the area that it is worth spending the two nights there.
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 08:30 AM

IMO Cape Town is one the most beautiful cities in the world. Donīt miss it. One day is not enough but itīs better than nothing. Is it worth going to Paris for one day? Yes, if the price and effort involved are right and you canīt be there any longer. Same for CT, New York, London, Prague, Rome.
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 09:06 AM

I would go for the day. We similarly had one day to explore Cape Town on our most recent trip. I didn't feel like it was a waste, but more a teaser and opportunity to explore and plan for a much longer trip in the future. I'd recommend a day long Cape Point tour so you can see a lot and plan for the next trip. Its a gorgeous city and i'd recommend doing it.
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

About itinerary in Botswana - we are taking a mobile safari tour with Game Trails.
2 days at the Vic. Falls were planned so that we take a look at the falls, and then have an elephant safai. Maybe, I'll skip the elephant safai, see the falls, and have two days at Cape Town
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 01:40 PM

I have heard the elephant safari is a very good experience, perhaps you should post a question about it and hear from people who have done it before you decide to drop it.