Naivasha

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2006, 12:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Naivasha

Is this park worth the stop? I heard that it is the only park where you can walk amongst the animals since there are no predators.... What is there to see here?
Old May 7th, 2006, 04:23 AM

Josabermo,
Naivasha is a lake and a town and not a game park. I haven’t been there, but I know there are inexpensive places to stay at the lakeside and lots of things to do. You must be thinking of Hell’s Gate NP and Crescent Island that are in the Naivasha area. Sometimes there are lions and leopards at Hell’s Gate – and cheetahs that aren’t dangerous – but you can walk there anyway. There’s also Mt Longonot NP and Crater Lake Game Sanctuary.

Old May 7th, 2006, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, good to know. I will look into it a bit more.
Old May 7th, 2006, 05:48 AM

Last in Naivasha in 1972. There were flamingos there then, and a classic old hotel, and a chimpanzee sanctuary.

All changed no doubt. But when you say "walk amongst the animals" what did you have in mind? Do you expect to get out of a car and walk amongst herds of antelope that just happen to be there?

I think you may disappointed.

But the trip out to Naivasha from Nairobi is worth it for the amazing view over the Rift Valley.

There's more to "Africa" than animals!!

And there are places where you can go on a walking safari - but you may walk lots before you see anything. Someone will be along with suggestions if that is what you really after.

Happy travels.
Old May 7th, 2006, 06:32 AM

I’ve got the impression that Hell’s Gate is the best place for unguided walks and bike trips “amongst” animals. Of course, when you’re on foot they keep the distance – like at least 50 metres or so – but they will be there. I’ve read reports where people rent bikes and cycle or walk to Hell’s Gate from Fisherman’s Camp at the lakeside – it’s just a couple of kilometres. I’ve walked on my own outside Lake Nakuru NP where there were impalas, elands, waterbucks, warthogs, zebras – and buffaloes, but I didn’t come across the buffaloes when I was on my own. And in the countryside south of Nairobi I just put one foot in front of the other and walked out amongst giraffes and zebras, and I was closer than 50 metres. Then there are real guided game walks close to the best game parks where you will see all kinds of animals, but not as close as when you’re in a vehicle. What may be disappointing with Naivasha is that both the flower industry and the tourist industry are a bit heavy in that area.

Fuzzy, African wildlife is the world’s attraction número uno. Was there a chimp sanctuary in Naivasha in 1972? You should write a retro trip report.
Old May 7th, 2006, 07:45 AM

Ar Crescent Island, you can walk amongst antelope species. I haven't done it, but my impression from looking at photos is that you're pretty much guaranteed to see zebra, waterbuck, etc. Several hotels along the lake shore offer boat rides there. You can also see hippo in the lake and grazing on the lake shore.

South of Lake Naivasha is Hells Gate NP where you can also go walking. I'm not sure how plentiful the game is. I got the impression that it was more about the dramatic gorges here than game viewing.
Old May 7th, 2006, 09:03 AM

Crater Lake camp too, Patty. They seem to guarantee animal sightings there too and have walks...(looks a very, very nice place for a honeymoon too, by the way Josabermo) but why does noonemention that you can do game walks just outside the Mara too?

And as I see from elsewhere that budget is an issue these are the best offers I've ever seen for staying near the Mara
http://www.mugumotree.com/Special%20Offers.htm

I have no idea about the place other than having seen this Web site but I thought I should bring it to your attention.
Old May 7th, 2006, 11:31 AM

I didn't mention Crater Lake camp as the last time I priced it, it as fairly expensive, $200+ more per night than where we ended up staying which was Malu. I agree it would be very romantic for a honeymoon. They even have a special "honeymoon" tent. I think you can still visit the sanctuary even if you're not staying at the camp.
Old May 7th, 2006, 01:48 PM

Patty,

Do you know the email address for the Crescent Island offices?
Old May 7th, 2006, 04:26 PM
aby

Is Naivasha worth it - r U kidding ?
u r talking about Naivasha my love !!!
now let's get serious' since most writers have not been there (at least since 1972). been many times to Naivasha, i am a "missionary" for a fresh water lake on safari itinerary (both Naivasha & Baringo) - i think most travellers do miss a lot by staying only on game parks... I've spent a week & even more at Naivasha on different occasions...
on Crescent Island (which isn't an island) you can see Giraffe on foot from very close range !. standing infront of it is quite an experience. (consult the local guide which individual u can approach closest ). when walking in the bush area u'll spot a number of dik-diks. You can also see hippos (watch your distance) waterbuck, zebra, wildebeest, gazelle (incl. an albino Grant) to whom u can't get too close. This is probably the best place in east africa to see Bat-Eared Foxes - u'll see their burrows all over the high rim... if lucky, local guide can show you Python
+"Birdlife is prolific" as the cliche goes...
since i'm short on time excuse me for quoting myself from earlier postings:
Take a boat see Hippos + Excellent birding - actually going to Crescent Island involves a boat too...
A visit to Crater Lake ! or stay at Crater Lake Lodge

if HIKERS - climb MT. LONGONOT amazing Volcano, beautiful caldera("crater&quot! + a bonus: a parasitic cone ! it's a full day

Hell's Gate park with its geothermal phenomena (& if u r into seeing rarer antelopes best place to see Steenbok)

In shory - i'd spend a week in Naivasha
or 2-3 full days.

Of course u can rest, ride horses or even play golf in Naivasha...

"
but undoubtedly my choice would be <Crater Lake Lodge> situated inside a small caldera ("crater&quot on the margin of a small lake (!) having flamingoes (sometimes) & fantastic observations of Colobus Monkeys, all inside a farm where u can see some game as well around ...
Amazing setting not only for honey-mooners " You can visit the place - small fee for entering the farm, climb to observation point above the crater-lake, sit in the lodge for a coke - it is paradise (again another cliche ??)
aby
Old May 7th, 2006, 06:23 PM
aby

Elsamere - to Elsa ("born free&quot fans
http://www.elsatrust.org/kenya_safar...s/default2.asp
Old May 7th, 2006, 06:46 PM

Aby,

Any other hotels/lodges you'd recommend around the lake? Naivasha Sopa? Naivasha Country Club?
Old May 8th, 2006, 09:18 AM

simbakubwa,
I don't know how to contact Crescent Island offices, sorry.
Old May 8th, 2006, 09:52 AM

I stayed at the Naivasha Sopa and the room was one of my favorites from my trip. Food and service was excellent.

http://waynehazle.com/eastafrica/Nak.../index003.html
A few pictures from the grounds are here. The rhino was from Nakuru.

This picture is from inside my room
http://waynehazle.com/eastafrica/Nak...9/017_13A.html

The hotel people told me that the hotel was very close to the lake and that during the day the hippos came up and walked around the grounds. You could just sit in your room and watch them.

We came in late at night and left early morning. We never saw or heard a hippo.
Old May 8th, 2006, 08:29 PM
aby

SimbaKubwa
About accomodation: i prefer a tent among the yellow-fever acacias so i could hear birds DUETTING (!) as i open my eyes...
lately i've stayed a few times at Great Rift Valley Lodge & Golf Resort
nice rooms etc'(u can sometimes also stay in a cottage that belongs to golf-club members) BUT i prefer to be on the Lake Shore as in the Country Club (fantastic setting!)- so early morning one can stroll & watch birds - from African Fish Eagle to Ibises herons plovers & especially, near the jetty, the sunbirds visiting Nicotiana glauca (a relative of tobacco brought from America unintentionally) flowers ...
Sometimes hippos mark (shit) at night on your cabin's sides ...
Haven't been to Sopa (--> Wayne), read Simba is also on the lake shore...
Does anybody know how is ex-Safariland Lodge called (owned) today ?
aby
Old May 8th, 2006, 08:37 PM

aby,
I believe the former Safari Land is the Sopa now.