Extra 3 days in Kenya?

Old Apr 24th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extra 3 days in Kenya?

My husband and I will be taking a safari in June with my brother and sister in law. They will be arriving 2-3 days before us and will be looking for something to do.
We arrive in Nairobi. The safari will take us to Amboseli, Lake Nukuru, Masaai Mara, Aberdares, Tsavo West and Mombasa.
Any suggestions of what they could do with their extra time??
Thanks!
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 04:47 PM

following is a link to some things that your brother and wife might consider doing:

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/...story12264.asp

they are copied as follows:

1. Stick your neck out

Stay at the Giraffe Manor, which is set in 120 acres of forested land eight miles from the city centre. The house has an old colonial, country house feel to it, and giraffes wander around the extensive grounds. Guests staying on the second floor are likely to see the animals staring in through the windows. Early in the morning and at breakfast, the ever-hopeful creatures stick their heads and necks through the breakfast room windows looking for pellets or bits of food.

2. Hole in one

When approaching the Ali Baba restaurant, all you see is a dark hole. But once you descend into this refurbished cave, a tunnel leads to a bar and, a few steps further down, a restaurant. The attraction of the restaurant lies not only in its unusual setting, but in its intimacy. It has 10-12 tables and, if you book in advance, you can have a table with views of the starry sky above. The wait staff wear Ali Baba-style uniforms, and the cool temperature of the cave provides a welcome contrast to the humidity outside.

3. Go wild

While much of Kenya is safari country, you can also find zebra, wildebeest, buffalo, rhino, cheetah and lions just 20 minutes from the city centre. The 115-square kilometre Nairobi National Park comprises plains, cliffs and forests. Some of the wildlife is migratory, so when vegetation and water are available outside the park, they move into Maasai land through the unfenced southern boundary. But there is a resident population of plains game and predators, so a visit at any time of the year is a rewarding experience.

4. Cuteness overload

Daphne Sheldrick’s elephant orphanage is located in the Nairobi Game Park. The park was begun by David Sheldrick and continued by his wife after his death. The park itself is too small to sustain adult elephants, but it takes in orphaned baby elephants from all over Kenya. Most of the elephants are there because their mothers have been killed by ivory poachers, but some have been separated from their mothers for other reasons.

The aim of the orphanage is to gradually reintegrate the elephants into the wild. Its work involves feeding the elephants, providing shade so that they don’t get sunburned and, as they get older, taking them for walks in the park. Once they are old enough, they are transferred to Tsavo Game Park to begin the final part of their release back into the wild.

5. Cheap ’n’ cheerful

In Nairobi’s centre is the large city market, which sells a selection of produce, including fruit, vegetables, flowers, fish and meat.

It’s a vibrant, bustling place - great for photo opportunities - and a good place to buy local handicrafts. Kariakor market is another excellent market for handicrafts and is renowned as the best place to sample traditional Kenyan food.

Old Apr 24th, 2006, 07:06 PM
aby

SAMBURU - a must !!!

OR:
if they don't want to travel far - i'd go for lake Naivasha ...

They can walk among wildlife (an experience u won't have on your safari) on Crescent Island
Take a boat see Hippos + Excellent birding - actually going to Crescent Island involves a boat too...
A visit to Crater Lake ! or stay at Crater Lake Lodge

if HIKERS - climb MT. LONGONOT amazing Volcano, beautiful caldera ("crater&quot |+ a bonus: a parasitic cone !

Hell's Gate park with its geothermal phenomena (& if u r into seeing rarer antelopes best place to see Steenbok)

In shory - i'd spend a week in Naivasha
or 2-3 full days.

Of course they can rest, ride horses or even play golf in Naivasha...

Enjoy it

aby
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both SO much for your great advice! I emailed all the info and this link to my brother. He was thrilled.

stakerk,
Giraffe Manor has been a dream destination for me ever since I heard about it a few years back. I'm really hoping we get the time to check it out. And we'll definitely take in the Ali Baba restaurant! Sounds cool. I already know we're hitting the elephant orphanage on our half day excursion in Nairobi. Can't wait!

aby,
Sounds like they (brother and sis in law) are really hyped about Lake Naivasha now! They have been looking into that area since I sent 'em your info. I'm jealous about the walking through the wildlife part.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 09:48 PM

I have to second the suggestion about Lake Naivasha. There are all sorts of things to do in that area.

Tell them to be sure to check out Elsameme. This was one of the homes owned by Joy Adams (Born Free, etc). It's a great way to sped a few hours and have a "spot of tea".

Hiking thru Hell's Gate is also a great experience. You won't see much game on foot, but it's an exhilerating experience hiking through the african bush.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

seyfun,
Thanks! The hiking sounds right up their alley, so I'm sure they will take advantage of that. And as for the "spot of tea," my sister in law is British, so that will be on their must-do list as well.