weight restrictions...is your backpack included

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read a lot of information concerning weight restrictions and I am now a little confused. I know we have a limit of 33lbs. I have been under the impression that this is the weight restriction for our duffle bag. I did not think that the backpack or camera equipment was included, but after reading some of the past posts on the subject I am not sure. Do we need to be concerned with the weight of our backpack also?

Thanks for any help with this matter.
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 08:55 PM
sniktawk

That depends on where you are going!

Old Jul 16th, 2007, 04:43 AM

I have to tell you that on our flights within Tz there was not a single bag weighed at any of the stops and we were a full plane when we finally flew to Arusha.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

We will be in Tanzania, Kenya, and Uganda. Middle of August thru early Sept.

dssxxx: Thanks for the personal experience. I will keep that in mind. I guess you never know.

Old Jul 16th, 2007, 08:19 PM

You never do know. We have had our bags weighed. I've seen people have to leave their luggage behind.

They usually tell us that our 33 lb does not include "reasonable" camera eqt. Ask your travel agent for details.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 11:24 PM

We had our bags weighed in Arusha, but not our backpack. You just stick it on the plane with you, no reason to hold it in your lap. But, we were on Air Excel or Excel Air so I'm not sure if others are different.

If flying from the bush back to Arusha, I don't see how they would know because there are no scales out there(that I could see). Most of the strips didn't even have a hut let alone scales.
Duane
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 10:43 AM

Hi,
I managed to ease this problem a bit last time I flew by wearing a photographers/safari jacket with tons of pockets - especially look for one with a big pocket at the back. Then I just packed myself with lots of camera equipment + small laptop and anything else I could think of that would pass through the scanner, and wore it. The jacket ended up weighing 10 kgs when I took it off - but hey ! I wore it to get on the plane OK.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 11:12 AM

In Kenya and Tanzania, I think the only locations capable of weighing your bags are Nairobi, Arusha/Kilimanjaro and Dar. I'm pretty sure there are no scales in any of the bush airstrips. As long as your carry on doesn't look too big or heavy and you hold on to it (vs laying it on top of your checked bag), I think it's unlikely they'd weigh the carry on.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 11:43 AM

When we flew out of Seronera, it was up to the pilot as to whether he thought the plane would be overloaded, or not. If the plane was full and your bag looked big and heavy, he would pick it up and decide if it came on his plane, or on another one later in the day. Go light!
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 12:35 PM

There are no weighing capabilities out in the bush, so this function takes place departing Wilson/Nairobi or Arusha/Kilimanjaro; though haven't been, seems this would be the same departing from DAR if flying one of the small planes.

So, if you drive out and fly back, unless the pilot feels you're overloaded, you'll be okay. It's up to the pilot whether to put your excess on the next plane which may be right behind yours or later in the day.

The main bag is weighed. Your carryon (if it doesn't appear to weigh as much as your main bag) will either sit on your lap or on the floor between your feet. No overhead bins in the 12- or 19-seaters. Some of the 42-seaters have bins, but not more than a portfolio can actually fit.