Safari photos Selous Mikumi Ruaha June 2007

Jul 16th, 2007, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Safari photos Selous Mikumi Ruaha June 2007

Hi,
For those of you interested, I have just posted a small selection of my trip photos on the Flikr website:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Steve
Jul 16th, 2007, 06:18 AM

Awesome pictures, thanks for sharing them. I am not so sure, however, that the zebra is so lucky to have survived the lion attack!
Jul 16th, 2007, 03:00 PM

Great photos! Thanks for sharing and also for the extra effort of providing captions!! Dick
Jul 16th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

MikeDeb60,
Yeah, you're right. We first saw that zebra as we headed out early morning and I was sure that it wouldn't survive long. However, we came across it again, a couple of km away from the morning sighting, as we headed back to camp late that afternoon. That photo is the afternoon shot and the wound was quite dry. Although, in its weakened state and with all the predators around, I'm sure it wouldn't have survived the night.
Steve
Jul 16th, 2007, 04:23 PM

Fantastic pictures...thanks for sharing! May I ask how you got such superbly clear shots of the birds?
Jul 16th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks girlpolo33,
Getting close to birds is very important to capture detail. Even shooting from the cover of a vehicle you should make no sudden movements. You need a good telephoto lens (mine is an Olympus Digital Zuiko 50-100mm (100-400mm equivalent in 35mm film terms) and something to support the lens to prevent camera shake. I use a Gorillapod, with a Manfrotto ball-head, attached to the edge of the roof opening on the Landrover.
Steve
Jul 17th, 2007, 12:35 PM

Thanks so much for the valuable advice. "Camera Shake"...darn, that is my problem. I appreciate your solution : )