Rwanda - Luggage Restrictions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What carry on/check in baggage restrictions have you run into flying from Nairobi to Kigali? Especially regarding photo equipment?
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 04:08 PM

Nothing beyond the standard "number of bags" and "total weight of bags" restrictions. Have you checked the policies of your airline? Are you bringing some unusual stuff?
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 06:08 PM

When I landed in Kigali, I had a big photo bag with 2 cameras & a video camera, I also had a bag with about 70 rolls of film.

The first attendant at the gate asked me how much film I had, she was looking through the bag, more than one of the workers asked me if I was a journalist. I said no. (which I wasn't) I feared they were planning to make up some kind of "journalist tax"
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

Were you able to use a Monopod with the Gorillas? Or did you use one in the jeeps in Kenya/Tanzania?
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 09:06 PM

No monopods, tripods, bags, etc. around the gorillas. They don't like seeing humans show up with lots of equipment. It gets them nervous... rightfully so.

A monopod/walking stick might have been cool in Kenya & Tanzania, but I didn't have one.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 11:01 AM

actually Wayne you can take a monopod to the gorillas but not a walking stick! We did 2 treks in Feb and my hubby had the monopod both days and both times we specifically asked if it was OK and we're told yes as long as he did not take the camera off it. I had a walking stick and had to leave that behind with the bags. My hubby had debated over even taking the monopod with him and at the last minute found one that packed into his bag nicely so we took it. He did not use it at all in Kenya or Tanzania!
J
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 11:15 AM

How interesting! It is like they know as long as they see the camera it is not a weapon
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 04:29 PM

we are leaving tomorrow and after little mombo camp in botswana off to 2 days gorrilla in Rwanda. I have monopod and canon 400d with 28--200 mm lens. Also have 70--300 lens. Was the monopod useful because of low light and which lens would be better. Any other tips would be appreciated for this very exciting trip. I heard Francois is amazing so will try and get him. Also does it matter which family try to visit
Thanks
Mooky
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 06:26 AM

Yes Wayne it is kind of funny! Mooky I think my hubby found the monopod useful because of light and becasue when we were with the Susa family we were balanced on a steep incline so it was a very useful balance for the camera! We both ended up using our lenses more in the lower end of the zoom. We were very close so needed some wide angle and the extra light that got into those lenses was useful. Pack all your gear in plastic bags inside your pack just in case of rain. I wore my leather gardening gloves for both hikes the whole time I found them useful that I wasn't worried about grabbing hold of something to pull me up a hill (our Susa hike was long and tough but fantastic!) We got some rain on our way back from Susa we were still under thick forest so didn't get really rained on but we did get damp. Niether of us put our rain jacket on but I did purt my waterproof pants on. We were both wearing quick dry hiking pants so we weren't really worried about getting wet but the difference was my hubbys pants were very dirty when we got back and mine were moderate! No worries really zipped off his lower legs and washed them out but they never really got clean. This I should mention was not even a muddy day. Put a couple of power bars or the like in you bag we didn't wnat the packed lunch from the hotel so gave that to our driver and just took our snacks. Don't worry too much about which guide you get. We met Francaois and he was delightful but the first day we wanted to go to Susa and he was not scheduled to do that and the guid ewe got was just wonderful. I hope you get to read this before you go. Have an amazing trip!
J