Weight Allowances - Kenya

May 7th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Weight Allowances - Kenya

Hello Everyone,
My tour operator is telling me that I am only allowed 22lbs for in Kenya travel for all luggage...duffel and carryon pack. I will be flying on Air Kenya and TropicAir. Putting together all of the stuff recimmended on so many of these threads and limited camera gear has me closer to 30lbs. Does anyone know just how strict the 2 airlines I mentioned are? I have so little. I don't know what to cut back on.
May 8th, 2006, 08:38 AM

There are a number of older threads and one very recent one about just this. You can do a search. To summarise most people try to sneak heavy items on attched to their body or even to just bluff their way through and the airlines usually seem to let them get away with it, but they can be strict at times. No-one seemed to think cameras as carry-on excess were a problem. You will definitely need a small, soft bag (duffel or similar).

Search out the other threads for more comprehensive, informed and varied opinions on this, but at 30lbs I wouldn't be losing much sleep.
May 8th, 2006, 09:02 AM

Air Kenya's allowance is 15kg or 33lbs so you should be OK there. Not sure about Tropic Air. You could try sending them an email - http://www.tropicairkenya.com/contacts.htm
May 8th, 2006, 09:54 AM

At the bottom of this page on the Tropic Air website, it lists their weight allowance as being 15kg as well, so you should be fine with both airlines - http://www.tropicairkenya.com/new.htm
May 8th, 2006, 10:17 AM

It could have been a fluke, but the Air Kenyan attendant put his foot on the scale while weighing our bags and claimed we owed for overage weight - that is, until I demanded a weigh in overseen by the manager. We also asked for a receipt. Interestingly, just before our weigh in they were pulling the same scam on this poor very broke Australian guy at an adjacent check in area - my DH just started to give the Aussie guy the cash he needed. We then demanded a second weigh in for him, as well, and sure enough he was being shaken down - must have been shake down day.
I don't think this happens often but try to know ahead approx. how much your stuff weighs in kg and lbs. and carry as much as you can as carry on baggage.
We carried 1 small and med. sized backpack and a good sized camera bag and a bag of souveniers - 2 carry on's each and never had a problem.