Precision Air - Arusha to Zanzibar

Old Feb 12th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Precision Air - Arusha to Zanzibar

When we fly OUT of Zanzibar we will fly to Nairobi on Kenya Air and allowed 40 lbs and a carry on.

I was just informed today by my tour group that when we fly from Arusha TO Zanzibar on Precision Air I am allowed only 30 lbs and no carry on.

The airplanes we are flying are both the same, = ATR 72. How strict are they going to be in Arusha for Precision Air on over weight and does any one know how much the overages cost? I have sent an email to Precision but Im not getting an answer.

Thank you!
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 07:11 PM

"....allowed only 30 lbs and no carry on."

They expect you to check -everything- at the "ticket counter." Whatever a agent/ticket counter is at Arusha. Leaving my cameras there would really really annoy me.

The ATR 72 is not at teeny 4 seater, google it. But it may still not have any overhead storage bins and that could be the situation. I ran into this flying SAA from JNB to Hoedspruit and they allowed me to put my camera bag underneath the seat in front of me.

regards -tom
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 08:52 PM

I fly Precision Air all the time and I always take a carry on - at least my computer bag and quite often if I only have a small "sports bag" type suitcase I'll carry that on too. Their planes do have overhead bins - quite small so don't bring deep bags.
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 09:15 PM

Perhaps your tour group said no carry on because of the way some people will abuse it. That is, take a carry on that is essentially a suitcase, you know what I mean.

regards - tom
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 09:32 PM

I took my camera bag (which was big enough to carry two cameras and several lenses) on board with me and just held it on my lap. I found that if I were just laid-back about it, it worked well. You could also strap the cameras around your neck and put lenses in a vest. (This was on the same Precision flight to Zanzibar a year ago. Patty
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 05:52 AM

I believe when the tour operator indicated 30/lbs (it's actually 15Kg or 33/lbs) is to include your main bag, carryon and camera.

Flying between Tanzania/Kenya you are allowed 40/lbs. For internation flights Arusha/Zanzibar it's 33/lbs.

They do weight bags at Arusha, but if the main bag is 33/lbs or less and your carryon doesn't appear to weigh a ton, they probably won't even weigh it, nor the camera bag unless there are big tripods hanging off this.

The overhead bins, if any, can barely fit a flat folder, so be prepared to place carryon on floor between your feet under seat in front; camera on your lap. These are short 1-1.5/hr flights.
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Ok thank you all for the info!!!!! I am a LOT less nervous than I was last nite!

I will load my vest up and hang my cameras around my neck as no matter what I will not check them!!!

I may still be a couple pounds over so does anyone know if they charge a flat fee or $500 per kilo!!

My carry on is a regular size rolling back pack so nothing gigantic. And my checked luggage is a medium sized duffle.

Thanks all!
Old Feb 14th, 2009, 05:38 AM

If bringing both a duffle and rolling bag (like a 22"), believe me you'll be over and be charged excess fees. While fees aren't high, can't imagine why you need 2/bags.

There are many threads here about packing and weight limits and since you don't need much clothing, can easily come in at the 33/lb limit with both a main bag (duffle preferably) and small carryon (tote-bag).

You don't need heavy-weight woolen cloths. Cotton/poly items weigh little and you don't need 3/changes daily. What you put on in the morning works thru end of day. A few pr or pants, t-shirts, long-sleeve shirts; heavy sweater, sweatshirt or fleece; 2/pr shoes, flip flops (as slippers & on beach); swimsuit, coverup, 2/pr shorts; personal beauty items; underwear and sleepwear. Actually, you don't need more than 4/changes of clothing for wherever you visit longest. Then rewear
Old Feb 14th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Sandi, but all you mentioned is pretty much what I have. I have never packed so lightly!! I will be rewearing lots and also getting laundry done on safari while I wash me own smalls! Maybe my duffel is just heavier than normal!

I do know my rolling pack is about 7 lbs so tomorrrow Im going to dig out another pack wo/ wheels and see what the diff is. I dont want to use it, but if I have to I will.

Thanks for you help!! And good to know the overcharges arent too bad. I'll hold that as comfort if needed!
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 05:54 AM

Those "wheels" are the killer, not only the extra weight, but can be damaged when squished into the small luggage holds under the small plane.

As you'll never have to pick-up a bag once in Kenya/Tanzania, a soft-duffle without wheels works fine. Some of these soft bags weigh barely 2/lbs.

For airports departing/arriving in home country, you can use a luggage cart to get into/out of terminal or have the Sky Cap assist (believe they charge $1 or $2/per bag). And, at transfer airports in Europe, carts are free to get you from gate-to-gate.

Old Feb 15th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Sandi for the tips. Being aged , I do like my wheels.....but will try some different combinations.

I have a little home luggage scale...sure is a handy gadget!