Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Visa for Tanzania can it be obtained at point of entry?

Visa for Tanzania can it be obtained at point of entry?

Jan 18th, 2003, 10:03 AM
Ken

Visa for Tanzania can it be obtained at point of entry?

I am leaving for Kenya and Tanzania the first of February. I had posted here a few months ago regarding visas and was informed that there was no problem obtaining a visa for either Kenya or Tanzania upon arrival. I am now being told by some people that while I can get my Kenya visa upon arrival, I cannot get a Tanzania visa upon arrival in Tanzania. Please clarify as I do not want to spoil my first trip to Africa. Thanks so much for your help!!

Ken in Pennslyvania

Jan 18th, 2003, 09:52 PM
lisa

Ken,
I flew to JRO (Kilimanjaro International) in December, and bought a visa there, just before the immigration counter. No photo needed, just $50. I have done this exact process 2 other times over the past 2 years.

I suspect you will be entering TZ on the bus thru Namanga? I have read that you can do the same process as outlined above there, as well as at the Dar and Zanzibar airports.

Jan 21st, 2003, 07:19 PM
Susan

Hi Ken! When we entered Tanzania through Namanga, we already had our visas in hand. One of the immigration officers asked how long it took us to get the visa from the Tanzanian Embassy in D.C. When I replied about a week, he said, "You didn't have to wait so long. You could just do it here." I don't think you should have a problem, especially if you are going through Namanga.

Jan 22nd, 2003, 06:36 AM
Ken

Lisa..Susan:

Thanks for your reply to my message. I e-mailed the Tanzania embassy the same day I posted here and got a reply that indeed I could get a visa at the border crossing. Thanks again for your reply.

I am getting so excited...I leave on the first of February for 19 days!!

Ken

Jan 22nd, 2003, 07:51 AM
Dick

Ken, I appreciate that excited feeling you must have. Trust you will have a great trip and that you will post as to your experience when you return. I can "relive" our trip in 2002 via your posting. Thanks in advance.
Dick

Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:35 AM
Susan

Hi Ken!!! I am envious that you are leaving so soon. I have to wait until 2004 to return. Have a wonderful trip!

Search this Thread