1st class hotel in Capetown?

Jan 21st, 2003, 05:22 AM
Irene

1st class hotel in Capetown?

2 friends traveling together looking for great location in a nice hotel. Any suggestions? We plan to do the winelands and go to Bushmanskloof for a night or 2 and will only be in SA for 6 nights. Thx

Jan 21st, 2003, 11:57 AM
Judith

We were in Capetown last Sept and stayed at the Victoria and Alfred on teh waterfront. We had a room which faced the water and Table Mountain. We really enjoyed the hotel. It is not too big, is in the middle of things and right on top of the shopping mall and an easy walk to restaurants, etc. We did go by the Cape Grace and walked through it, but felt we had made a wiser choice as far as location was concerned by staying at the Victoria and Alfred.

Jan 21st, 2003, 01:22 PM
Selwyn Davidowitz

Hi Irene,

I feel Judith is correct when she recommends the V&A hotel as it certainly is well located, the rooms are spacious and the general service at the hotel is to be recommended. With that said I still think that the Cape Grace is an even better place to stay for one reason only and that is the level of efficiency. Besides the fact that the Grace is well located and has everything that you will need their level of service is by far the best you will find in our city. The downside of this is that you certainly pay for this as the Grace is not the cheapest place in Town.

If you want great service stay at the Grace however if you can do with good service that meets the standards of a general hotel guest then the V&A is also a great place to stay.

Contrary to all of the above is the fact that I still very strongly believe that guesthouses are a much better deal for those visiting Cape Town than hotels and if you want to know more just take a look at quite a couple of my past posts on this board and you will see why I recommend this type of accommodation so highly.

Selwyn Davidowitz

Jan 21st, 2003, 02:14 PM
Michael

Another vote for the V&A. I stayed there during my most recent trip to Cape Town (August 2001), and I found the location terrific. While not as lavish as the hotel (the Mount Nelson) during my first trip, the V&A was well-located, friendly and comfortable -- and very reasonably priced. You'll be right in the center of the waterfront.

Jan 21st, 2003, 07:02 PM
Irene

Thx all for the replies. I am not comfortable staying in guest houses. I don't think most American travelers are. I don't mind paying for a little luxury, my philosophy is it's my vacation and I want to live it up, at least in terms of accomodation. Does anyone have a like for the V&A? All I was able to find was the Table Bay Hotel. Thx again

Jan 21st, 2003, 07:02 PM
Irene

Should read, link to the V & A. thx

Jan 21st, 2003, 08:16 PM
Selwyn Davidowitz

Hello Irene,

The link you are looking for is http://www.vahotel.co.za/

Forgive me for saying so but there is a little bit of ignorance in the statement that hotels are more luxurious than guesthouses and at the same time there is a big yes mark behind the fact that many Americans don’t stay in guesthouses when they travel.

The reason for the above is that most Americans associate the word guesthouse with what they have known guesthouses to be in the USA. I experience this concept on a daily basis with those who travel with me. WITHOUT FAIL everyone of those whom I show the difference between where they stay in hotels and some guesthouses In Cape Town particularly feel sick that the never listened to the advice given to them before they arrived in South Africa. Why? Simple they had no idea what a South African guesthouse truly is. Show me the hotel where you could walk out of your room and paddle in sea that is 50 yards away. Show me the hotel where you could literally “swing 50 cats” in your room as opposed to one due to the size being huge. When it comes to views in Cape Town one of our most precious views is a TOTAL viewing of the Table Bay area from above. To my knowledge there is no hotel in the city that has this view however I can quote you the best part of 10 guesthouses that do have this function. Oh I could go on and on.

While I respect what you say Irene my advice is first look into what a guesthouse in the SA region really is before you make the comment about the luxury function relative to hotels. Amongst others I say this because imho the only function that a hotel holds over a guesthouse is that it gives one anonymity. If it be the case that needs this facility then I would definitely suggest staying in a hotel however if one needs luxury, friendliness, great pricing, excellent location don’t look any further than a guesthouse because in this regard many establishment outstrip hotels and btw I am even taking about beating the Cape Grace in the department of service.

Suppose this mail will rack up a couple of responses but I say it as it is and the above is how I see it to be.

With all that said Irene here’s wishing you a great vacation in what I regard to be one of the greatest cities in the world.

Selwyn Davidowitz

Jan 22nd, 2003, 03:24 AM
Judith

Irene. Actually on our trip to Africa, we stayed in the V & A in Capetown and later on while we were in Pretoria, we stayed in a Guest House. While I can't speak for guesthouses in CapeTown, I will say that our experience with the guesthouse in Pretoria was beyond our wildest imagination...luxury and service beyond belief...the only difficulty I find with guesthouses is that they are usually located a bit away from the center of things (which may be quite all right with you)..but after traveling some 16,000 miles to Capetown, I was glad to be within immediate walking distance of restaurants and shopping. You really should consider checking out guesthouses as well for all or part of your stay...we loved the one in Pretoria so much, we didn't leave it to sightsee one day...just sat around and enjoyed the exquisite surroundings and service. So don't close your mind to guesthouses either. On that point, I agree with Sewelyn.

Jan 22nd, 2003, 05:16 AM
Irene

Well we are open to anything. Perhaps a questhouse in the winelands for a night or 2 could be the way to go. The location of the V&A sounds just perfect for us but I'll explore the questhouse route too. I've stayed in B&B's in other parts of the world and I never enjoyed the experiance but if they are as you say then maybe I should research them as well. Can you suggest any particular ones? We do like to be near the center of things. Thx
Irene

Jan 22nd, 2003, 07:41 AM
evelyntrav

Irene, I agree with you about most B&B, but my problem with them is the lack of some privacy. Very often the hosts and the guest want to hang around and chat and I am just not interested.

We stayed at the V&A Hotel and thought it was perfect for us. It has a sense of history which added to our pleasure. We visited the Grace and it was lovely and the staff was gracious, but just too posh for what we wanted as we prefer small and quiet to grand and fancy. Also, being right at the waterfront was ideal.

Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:56 AM
mary

Not to move the topic from Cape Town, but does Jo'burg have one of these lovely guest houses in lieu of staying at the Grace in Rosebank?

Search this Thread