Villages and towns in Botswana

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we will travel overland from Maun to the CKGR - campsite in the Deception Valley. I would really like to see some of the human side of Botswana. Already, I am regretting that we won't have any time in Gaborone, or any other towns. We have one night outside Maun, at the Motsensela Tree Lodge.

How long a drive is it from Maun to Deception Valley (not the lodge, but a Wilderness Safaris camp site somewhere)? And will there be any villages along the way where we could stop, stretch our legs, and look around? My maps don't show much I want to see folks and how they live, but I rally don't want to go stare at the "natives" as if they were animals in a zoo. Does that make sense? I will discuss this with our guide, when we meet in Maun.

Would it be worthwhile to go into Maun for a few hours to look around the night we are at Motsensela? Our meal there is included, but I wouldn't mind going somewhere else, unless Motsensela is really, really nice.

Old Nov 5th, 2008, 07:40 PM

Hi MomLiz!
We did a self-drive through Botswana this past August and visited Maun and spent a night at Motsentsela. I am in the midst of posting my report - have a look at the thread "Self-drive: Nxai Pan, Moremi & Chobe - August 2008" - I describe our visit to Maun and Motsentsela. The dinner at Motsentsela was very nice - a communal affair - good food and good company. It was fun to chat with the other guests and learn of their adventures. I won't repeat the details here - all the info is in my post. Robin
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 10:47 PM
sniktawk

Firstly the drive to Deception valley Public Campsite is roughly 270kms around 80 will be on dirt roads. I would estimate that this would take around 4 hours. The map I have showing the location of WS Kalahari Plains Camp shows it to be around 40-50km south of Deception Valley, also on dirt. So I would allow at least 6 hours in all from Maun including potential game viewing on the way. There are not many major villages on route Motopi is quite near to Maun, then you have Tsoe and Rakops where you turn off the tar road onto the road to CKGR. Just out of interest why are you not flying?

I would stay at Motsentsela the food is fabulous and the guys in charge are extremely knowledgeable you will have very interesting conversation. The road to the lodge is extremely sandy and around 8-10km from tar, but in a decent 4x4 it is easy, just go slowly.

Old Nov 6th, 2008, 01:29 AM
Original Poster

Not sure why we aren't flying - our trip is a Wilderness safaris package (which I did not realize) so we will go where we are told

Thank for your help! Robin, I'll take a look at your report.
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 05:48 AM
sniktawk

Momliz,

I am very surprised that WS would ask their clients to endure such a long transfer, I can only presume that there is no airstrip nearby which they are allowed to use. The nearest airstrip I can find is at Rakops.

Old Nov 6th, 2008, 09:32 AM

Hi Liz,

I gave Pam the GPS/Google Earth marker for the Green Desert campsite in CKGR.

If you load it up (just doub;e-click the kmz file she sent you), you can see where you will be.

WS use several spots for that campsite, but I sent you the one they use most often.

Hope you enjoy.

James
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 11:57 AM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
I stayed at Motsentsela Tree Lodge in July, 2007. One of the staff so kindly pointed out the snake trail across the walkway right at my tent. I've never (knock wood) seen snakes in a camp and was very happy that she warned me to watch for snakes.

I really enjoyed the dinner at Motsentsela. Great food and interesting conversations around the large table.
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, James!! I will check my email now - can you tell we are getting excited about our trip?

Sniktawk - I am excited about the transfer - I would like to see Botswana at ground level, the Botswana of roads, towns and people - as I said, the human side. It seems, in reading this forum, that all folks want to see is the wildlife. Don't get me wrong, I do too, but I am interested in more. I remember clearly the smells of the markets I visited when I was in East Africa many years ago, and I remember the friends we had (Dad was stationed in Kampala so they knew a lot of people).

Of course, 6 hours on dirt roads, with a stiff suspension can be tough, so I may totally regret saying that I am looking forward to this transfer

Snakes, sundowner? I would love to see snakes! I have listed on the form that I need to send back that one of our interests is reptiles, particularly snakes. I'm sorry they give you the creeps, they really are fascinating, and beautiful.

Now, I am really looking forward to Motsensela - thanks to you all. 43 days till we leave!