Video Camera on Safari

Old Nov 30th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Video Camera on Safari

I just wanted to post this message for anyone wondering if they should take a camcorder on safari.

My experience is this: I have been playing at still photography for years and finally invested in digital (SLR) photography equipment for my recent trip to Africa. While the still photographs were nice, I would not trade anything for the video footage that I shot with on the trip. Since I traveled alone, I juggled two digital cameras and a camcorder, often one in each hand. While there were times when I envied those with one small still camera, I was so happy once I returned home to have had the video footage along with the still photos.

I was asked to put together a presentation on my trip to Africa (to show at work in the auditorium) shortly after I returned home. So I purchased some video editing software and generated a 49 minute movie of my trip to Africa, with a blend of stills and video footage. I set it to music of Africa and while I had limited time to put it together, the result is something I am proud of. I made copies of the "movie" for people and continue to get high praise for it.

It is a wonderful way to share my experience as well as to relive it myself.

So for anyone wanting another opinion, take the camcorder to Africa and make a DVD movie from it when you get home.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 04:02 PM

hi, i had borrowed my buddies corder for my trip sept 04. then i had to get one.
yea, i bring both. i find myself not having trouble which to use when. i just go with the feeling at the time.
this weekend i am picking up a second computer another buddy made for me. to transfer the tapes to dvd. also some software in there. so i'll be messing with this stuff also.
my buddy did transfer 3 or 4 tapes for me to dvd. yes. i really like it. of course there is editing that will be done on the new ones.
but it's great hearing the sounds, the chatting of swahili ect. even some reality type tv stuff going on.
many swear bombs being dropped. for various reasons. adds color in an unexpected way.
glad i bought one.
thx, david
ps, used a video cam 3 trips now.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 04:14 PM

Ditto.

I have just upgraded to serious equipment, a Sony vx2100 and cant wait for my next trip in only six weeks!!!

Video is so great for capturing those sounds and interactions, I'm lucky my wife takes care of stills admirably, leaving me free to goof off with the video.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 04:19 PM

Glad to hear that your liking the video. I recently bought a panasonic Fz30 digital with a built in video that I honestly didn't think I'd use - it somehow made me cringe and think back to uncles shooting pictures of the inside of my mouth as food was being stuffed in - you get the picture. Anyhow, the picture clarity and sound is surprisingly good. I've been practicing on my dog and cats and even picking up wind blowing thru trees and waves crashing. I can't wait to use it in Africa. I'm sure the time length isn't as long as an actual camcorder but it's a nice addition to the stills. I just have to figure out how to properly pan without it looking strangely distorted. I think it's better perhaps, if the object/animal is moving and we're not, which will be the case in Africa.
Sherry
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 10:49 PM

wanderlust123
What Video editing software did you use. I have only used Pinnacle Studio and wondered what other good ones are out there.
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 01:42 AM
Original Poster

After some research and some trial and error with other softwares, I went with Pinnacle Studio (v.9) and am very pleased with it. It was highly recommended by several co-workers. It made my work look like that of a professional.
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 06:47 AM

Was Pinnacle Studio difficult to use. So far I have just used the Roxio stuff pre loaded on my PC, it gives good not great results. Now I have upgraded the camera, I wonder if I should get better software. Anyone suggest some on line resources for further investigation.
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 10:08 AM

Pinnacle Studio is also what I am using and I do like it a lot. Do you know if there is a way to put a voice over on the digital pictures you take using Pinnacle and not just music. I have some old 8mm videos that I would like to edit but would like to describe the people that are in the videos.
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 12:20 PM

I went to Top Ten reviews this am and they ranked Pinnacle third, the top software did allow for voice overs. Cant for the life of me remember what it was now.
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 01:13 PM

WAnderlust, would you mind dropping me an email?
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 02:00 AM

What type of digital camera did you use? I'm looking to buy the Canon digital SLR with 2 lenses (one up to300) and also looking to buy a new digital video camera? Can youlet me know what you used for both? Thanks.
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 06:02 PM

Lots of useful info here to prepare for video taping your safari

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/video_safari.html
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 10:03 AM

napamatt: where did you find the top ten reviews? interested in that.
thx, david
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 06:30 AM

Top ten reviews.com
They rated Power Dircetor 4 the best and had links to the cheapest place to buy. I purchased and downloaded on Saturday evening and was up and running on a project yesterday. This software is very easy to use and does cool things like filter out wind noise. Highly recommended. It was also create chapters when you make a DVD, unlike the pre-installed Roxio stuff I was using.
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 02:56 PM

napa, thx alot. a question for anyone about this stuff. my buddy had put together a computer for me. it has the roxio to do the editing. he has something else to capture the video.
problem: computer not detecting the cam corder. tonight i installed the disk for the fire wire. he was thinking it was because of that. still not reading the cam.
video cam i'm using: canon zr80. it did not come with any installation disks.
could this be the trouble? this computer needs a disk for this cam?
any thoughts and help?
thx, david
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 04:16 PM

Dave

Sorry I'm a real novice. My previous set up was an anolog Sony camcorder atatched to a video capture device. Now that I have upgraded to the Sony VX2100, I simply plugged the firewire into camera and computer, and the software did the rest. I had not tried grabbing the image in the old Roxio stuff, I just went staright into the new program. I had no disks or anything.
Sorry I can't help any more than that.
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 12:20 PM

I have just purchased Sony's HDR-FX1 Handycam® Digital HDV Camcorder with Manual Zoom Ring !!!

I have always enjoyed my videos more than taking pictures.

One month to go!!!!
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 12:37 PM

Nut - very cool camera. I couldn't go as far as that, so stuck with the VX2100. I would definitely recommend CyberLink's Power Director.

Mala Mala in 4 weeks!