Canon EOS Elan 7N to digital for next safari

Old Nov 24th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Canon EOS Elan 7N to digital for next safari

I know there has been much discussion about photo equipment on the forum. I bought a Canon Elan 7N for this year's safari, but my film ended up going through 7 x-ray machines as nobody was willing to hand check it!! For that reason and many more, I'm seriously thinking I'll make the switch to digital for my next trip in 2008. I'd appreciate comments on which camera to consider to help with the transition. I am not a serious photographer, would be able to use my current lenses with a digital Canon and would like to keep my costs down. Having said all of that, I think the quality of pictures produced by the Canon S3 are probably adequate for my needs.

I would also like some feedback on photo printers. Is everyone using them now to print the pics you want hard copies of? If so, I wonder if you could comment on which of these produces great results.

Thanks all!
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 09:13 AM

Calo -You won't be able to use your Canon lenses with the S3. I would recommend a 20D, the newer 30D, or the newest Rebel, 400i or something like that. Check www.dpreview.com for comprehensive reviews.

Good luck.
Sharon
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 09:16 AM

I'm definitely not a photographer myself, but can confirm that my Canon S3 worked great on my recent safari. You can look at the results at http://www.winkflash.com/photo/publi...?u=ajennerjahn
If you don't want to wade through a million shots, you might want to browse through the 'Africa best highlights' or the 'Africa highlights - some of everything' folders.
I used a UV filter which I kept on all the time (to keep off the dust and protect the lens). I mainly used the auto settings, and enjoyed experimenting with the landscape and portrait modes, as well as the automatic exposure bracketing.
One wonderful feature that I forgot to use, is the fact that you can instantly switch to movie mode, and take still shots simultaneously.
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 10:11 AM

Canon S3 is excellent camera, we've used the S2 a lot. It is much smaller than a new combo of Canon DSLR 400i with several lenses.
Movie/video mode is also very good/fun and easy to start stop with a button. However, when you take a still picture during a movie the movie is interrrupted/stopped for about 1 second. This has sort-of ruined some movies for us so we simply do not take a photo while videoing. No big deal at all, just a little detail to keep in mind.
Printers - I use my own unless I want a large print say 11x14, 12x18, then I go to Costco. I've been using a Canon i950 but the printhead has gone bad on me (yes I've tried to clean it) so just ordered another Canon much like it, the IP6700D from Amazon. $155, on sale, free shipping, no sales tax.
regards - tom
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 08:03 PM

If you have a good collection of Canon lenses, and especially a good long telephoto lens, I would probably say go for a Canon DSLR like the 400D, 20D or 30D. If you do not have lenses you want to keep using, or if portability or movie mode are critical to you, the S3 would seem to be the logical choice. Just depends on your objectives and preferences.
Chris
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 11:02 PM

Calo, I print my photos at Costco because it is not cost effective to print the 4x6s at home considering the high cost of the ink as well as the paper. I have an HP photosmart for the convenience of popping out a print when needed quickly.