Using ATM card in South Africa

Sep 16th, 2002, 11:04 AM
KJS

Using ATM card in South Africa

I have read that ATM machines in South Africa require a 5 digit PIN # to access your account. Has anyone had experience with this?
I have found plenty of PLUS Network machines in SA from Visa's website.
I am leaving from NY this week for South Africa and wasn't sure if my ATM card will work since I only have a 4 digit PIN code.

Thanks.

Sep 16th, 2002, 11:50 AM
x

last year 4 digits worked fine, everywhere. never heard about five digits.

Sep 16th, 2002, 12:05 PM
x

where do you read that, I wonder. checked with travel agents - you're te only one who has. Maybe you're talking about getting a VISA credit card cash loan - not ATM for bank cards. Don't start rumors.

Sep 16th, 2002, 12:23 PM
KJS

Why would I start a rumor over this?

My source: Fodor's 2002 2nd Edition Guide to Southern Africa. On page XXVI in the "Smart Travel Tips A - Z" Section under ATM's, it states: 'Before leaving home, make sure that your credit cards have been programmed for ATM use in South Africa(most South African ATMs take five-digit PIN numbers).'
Might I add, that it was written in boldface type, which is why it stuck out.

If this is incorrect information, then someone should inform the Fodor's editors.
I posted my message here to get the "truth" from someone who has been there and used an ATM, not to start a stupid rumor...

Sep 16th, 2002, 03:29 PM
Selwyn Davidowitz

Hello KJS,

ATM machines in SA ONLY work on 4 digit security numbers. There was a period when if you had a card from a local bank called Nedcard (They also are the American Express SA agents) they used to work on a 5 digit pin code but that has now been phased out.

Dont worry your card WILL work in SA using 4 digits.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy my great country.

Selwyn Davidowitz

Sep 17th, 2002, 01:45 PM
x

You need to run down those "rumors" and not repeat something simply because a travel guide says so. In SA, people can use four or five - we called SA yesterday to enquire. Nobody knows anything about a requirement. Do some research first, next time.

Sep 17th, 2002, 01:49 PM
Ginger

Better check Fodors First Edition on Southern Africa - see page xxii - it says in SA most ATMS take the four (4)-digit PIN numbers! It says that before leaving home, make sure the ATM card is programmed for ATM use in SA - and that that means a four (4)-digit number. Again, see page xxii, midway down the second column. Somebody goofed!

Sep 17th, 2002, 04:24 PM
AAA

Hi,
Was just there three weeks ago and used the ATMs a lot as it had the best exchange rates. Your normal 4 digit pin in fine - no problems whatsoever.

x - This site is all about asking questions. I don't think anyone minds that for that is this site's purpose.

Sep 18th, 2002, 09:28 AM
KJS

Thank you to those who have answered my question.

The Fodor's guide I was referring to was published on June 4, 2002 - so one would assume that it's the most up to date, obviously they goofed.

For x - This site is for asking and answering these kind of travel questions. My post clearly stated that I was asking a very simple question and I really expected just to get a straightforward answer (like the one from Selwyn), not a bunch of snide remarks. If you can't answer the question, then don't waste our time with irrelevant comments.

Search this Thread