Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Twyfelfontein or Spitzkoppe for rock art?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on the advice in an earlier thread regarding Namibian travel times, I'm re-routing my trip to by-pass driving down the Skeleton Coast. My stop in Twyfelfontein was part of that leg of the journey, so now I'm re-considering that.

Can anyone guide me as to the pros and cons of Twyfelfontein versus Spitzkoppe/Bushmans Paradise and Anibib Farm? Both look to be about a 6.5 hour drive from Etosha Namutoni.
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 08:24 PM

Hi again Seyfun,

Spitzkoppe has been vandalised and there is not a lot left of the paintings to be seen(I was advised against the detour to see these).
I did go to Twyfelfontein and this is a Goverment run(European Funded) operation with lots and lots of very well preserved rock art, there is a visitors centre with a display of local artefacts and the history of the old cattle station that used to exist there.
Also, Burnt Mountain and the Organ Pipes are very close by and these 3 sites will 'kill off' a leisurely morning for you.
Mark.
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Hi antipest,

Thanks for the information. This is the first I've heard about the vandalism at Spitzkoppe, so I'll give it a skip. Any word on whether Anibib Farm is worthwhile? My book gives it high rating, but it also doesn't mention the vandalism at Spitzkoppe.

To continue the past thread, does Etosha Von Lindquist / Anderson / Omaruru sound feasible in a six hour period, if I go that route?