Trip from Cairo to Taba/Eilat

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2007, 06:46 PM
CTW
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip from Cairo to Taba/Eilat

Greetings all,
Our family of four (with two teenagers) is traveling form Cairo to Taba/Eilat the end of May.

There is conflicting info online and in books on how long it takes and the available travel options. We are non-smokers and like AC.

What do you recommend? Rent a car, hire a van, or take the bus? Costs? Hints for the trip?

Thanks a BUNCH for the help
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 08:57 AM

Unless you live in Egypt and are used to the driving - I DON'T recommend renting a car and driving yourself. I also wouldn't take a bus. I guess if you could find a reputable company with a van that would be okay - but I don't really know.

Is your ultimate destination Petra?

If so - why not fly from Cairo to Amman and rent a car there or even better - arrange for transport to Petra thru an agent. I had friends who did this a few years ago with no problems.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 09:18 AM

We are planing to visit Taba Heights after 3 days in Cairo and 2 in Luxor area. Our travel consultant recommends fling Cairo to Sharm (55 min.) vs. 325 mi. and having a driver take to Taba Heights-2 1/2 hr. drive.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 02:24 PM
CTW
Original Poster

Thank you for both excellent options.

Does anyone know if the Cairo-Taba van is an option?

Old Jan 15th, 2007, 04:49 AM

I don't know anything about any regularly scheduled van from Cairo to Taba, but I think you could probably arrange for one thru a travel company.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 01:08 PM

CTW--

Our family of 3 (one teenage girl) will be traveling from Cairo to Eilat in early April. We will have a guide with us, who will have been our guide in Egypt. We are hiring a car/driver. We have in mind to leave at dawn and to stop at some sites in the Sinai along the way.

I do not know the cost of this part of the trip, as it is included in the total cost of our guide and other internal Egypt travel. But I believe any reputable travel agent can organize a car/driver for you. If you like, I can give you our agent in (located in Israel), if you email me directly: [email protected]

Any info you gain about the route and interesting things to do along it, please do pass them along to us.

Safe travels!

--Pete & Iris