Trip advice - 4 days near Cape Town

Jan 28th, 2018, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Trip advice - 4 days near Cape Town

I will be tagging along on a trip with my husband in April. I can only get away for a week. We would arrive in Johannesburg on a Sunday and he needs to be in Cape Town the following Friday afternoon. I would love to do a safari but Iím thinking timing is too tight and we would spend all our time travelling. Please recommend things to see and do near Cape Town. Iíve seen Table Mountain, Boulders Beach, Cape of Good Hope. Does it make the most sense to just spend our time near Cape Town? Thank you!
Jan 28th, 2018, 04:22 PM

Well you certainly can find plenty to do around Cape Town. Have you seen the wine district around Stellenbosch or Franschhoek? Or maybe think about heading up to West Coast National Park and Paternoster an hour or two north of Cape Town on the Atlantic coast.

If you wanted a quick and rewarding safari outing, you could drive to Pilanesberg National Park in around 2 1/2 hours from Joberg airport, or fly (cheaply) from JNB to Port Elizabeth and visit nearby Addo Elephant National Park, then fly down to Cape Town.

Or with 4 days you could easily fly into Port Elizabeth, get a car and spend one day at Addo, then take the next three days to drive along the Garden Route to Cape Town, like this - https://goo.gl/maps/JaZ2enLNXxQ2
Jan 29th, 2018, 12:55 AM

Pilanesburg is a great day trip from JNB for those on a tight schedule but still want to see some wildlife. I've been 5-6 times over the years, for that very reason. You can have lunch at one of the lodge's eg Bakubung. There is an Elephant Sanctuary at Hartbeespoort.

The winelands close to Cape Town are a must, the scenery and restaurants are great, you can have a picnic organised by a winery. The Cheetah Outreach is interesting, World of Birds at Hout Bay, Chapmans Peak Drive and the scenery around Kommetjie is beautiful, you can go horse riding at Noordhoek. The V&A in Cape Town is probably somewhere you've been already, if not it has lots of restaurants & shops. Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens - area around Camps Bay/Clifton to see, there is so much to do in and around Cape Town.
Jan 29th, 2018, 01:09 AM

5 days is ample time to do a safari, you can fly straight to CT from Kruger. have you done a safari before?