itinerary suggestions for joburg & cape town

Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
itinerary suggestions for joburg & cape town

A friend and I will have 9 nights in South Africa at the end of April and we are trying to figure out our itinerary. We want to base ourselves out of Joburg and Cape Town. Here are our questions:

Is Kruger easy to get to from Joburg?
How long should we stay in Joburg and what should we do besides the Apartheid Museum?
What are some good day trips from both Joburg and Cape Town?

We've never been to South Africa and would be greatly appreciative of any suggestions. Also, we are grad students and on a tight budget.

Thanks fodorites!
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 10:48 AM

Hey,

1) Kruger is easy to get to from Jhb by car but it takes 4-6 hours depending on where in Kruger you're going. Once there you should aim to spend at least 2 full days in the park, otherwise you risk not seeing many animals!

2)Apart from the Apartheid Museum in Joburg you can do a township tour of Soweto, visit the Cradle of Humankind (north of the city) and visit Pretoria - the Voortrekker monument is not often visited by tourists but really interesting. All of these will take at least half a day each.

3) Cape Town is great, and there is tonnes of stuff to do there (other posts will prob give you lots of ideas).

9 nights is not that long, so Kruger, Jhb and Cape Town might be a bit ambitious. I guess it depends on what you're interested in seeing.

As for budget, a great site is http://www.coastingafrica.com/, SA has lots of backpackers places which are largely really great and much much cheaper than hotels (I'm from SA and I often stay in them with friends when travelling).

Hope thats useful!

Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! Well, we will be living in Malawi for 3 1/2 months, so do you suggest doing safaris there and then spending most of our time in Cape Town and maybe two or three days in Joburg?
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 05:04 AM

If you're in Malawi I'm sure you can do some safaris there, so 2 days in Jhb and the rest in CT would be perfect.

You might consider spending a few days in CT (4/5) then travelling up the 'Garden Route' (east coast) from CT to Port Elizabeth, visiting Hermanus and/or Knysna. You can drive yourselves or catch the Baz Bus (see website I previously recommended). You can fly from PE or George (close to Knysna) back to Jhb fairly cheaply on low cost airlines. Of course you can always just stay in Cape Town if you don't want to travel so much!
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 02:07 PM

hi, lindsay - lucky you.

My experience is limited to CApe Town, as we never got as far as Jo'burg apart from a 4 hour lay-over at the airport.

we had 3 days in CPT which was nothing like enough. you might like to try to get hold of a book called "7 days in Cape town" [I got it off amazon]. in fact IMO there's enough for a whole month.

in our three days, we went up table mountain and saw the kirstenbosch gardens [day 1] drove down the cape to see the penguins at boulders beach and then down to the cape, and spent a day sight-seeing in CPT itself [highlight was the slave house museum].

for day trips, as well as the cape itself, you could go up to the winelands, the flower fields in Namaqualand, Hermanus, Constantia, the beaches of the cape, etc.

I would definitely consider concentrating on CPT if you have the opportunity to do this.

regards, ann