S.A. Itinerary

Dec 19th, 2004, 12:33 AM
Original Poster

S.A. Itinerary

My wife and I are travelling to Southern Africa next October for 18 days for the first time. We are in the process of finalizing our itinerary. We have decided to go to Sabi Sands, Botswana and Capetown, and would have also like to go to Victoria Falls. Can anyone tell me if 5 days is enough time for Capetown and surrounding area? Our travel plans will allow for 5 or 9 days in Capetown due to scheduling of a train trip we are also taking.
Dec 19th, 2004, 03:10 AM

Whilst it's easy and a delight to spend time in Cape Town, I'd say that 5 days would be better than 9 given that you're keen to also visit safari areas and Victoria Falls.

Here are some ideas on how to fill those 5 days (not in any particular order)br />
1 day: Robben Island, Table Mountain and other key sights within the central area that appeal most to you

1 day: Full day excursion down the peninsula (down one side, back up the other) to include Boulders Beach for the penguins, to include the Cape of Good Hope, to include some of the lovely towns along the way

1 day: Kirstenbosch Gardens and Constantia area or instead of Constantia, additional time in Cape Town

1 day: Winelands, concentrating on Stellenbosch, Franschhoek areas

1 day: If you're into shopping and are in CT on a Sunday then I'd make that your shopping day, visit the Green Point Sunday market and then you could also visit Waterfront craft sheds, the Waterfront mall and/ or other shopping options.
Dec 19th, 2004, 03:48 AM

Ray59

I agree with Kavey wholeheartedly when she says that 5 days are enough for Cape Town. You certainly do not need any more than this.

In terms of itinerary I think that Kavey's ideas are pretty good and represent a definite plan for you to follow.

Another planned itinerary that I would follow, which seem to work best for visitors that I have helped in the past would be:

Day 1. Travel on the Cape Peninsula

Day 2. Visit Robben Island, walk the city and end your day by ascending Table Mountain.

Day 3. Visit the Kirstenbosch Gardens in the morning leaving the afternoon free for you to do whatever you want to.
If you have no interest in the Gardens then leave the whole day free for whatever suits your needs such as

a) The Cape Town Waterfront

b) Museums or the national art gallery

c) The excellent aquarium

d) High tea at the Mount Nelson Hotel

e) Bo-Kaap

f) If you are a history fan then visit the castle in th city.

g) Shopping at markets (if this interests you

The above are some examples of what could be one in Cape Town however if you let us know your interests I am sure that many on this board including myself will be able to help you with more ideas.

Day 4. Leave Cape Town and go stay somewhere in the Winelands such a Stellenbosch, Franschhoek or on a winefarm. While travelling to your new place of stay in the Winelands stop in at places of interest along the Winelands route.

Day 5. Tour or travel the winelands taking in its history, winefarms, culture and breathtaking scenery.

Note that you could start this whole journey by visiting the Winelands first and the Cape Town sector of your journey second that is if you are meeting your scheduled train in the city after your Cape Town stay

No matter what you or how you do it in Cape Town you simply cannot go wrong.

May I also suggest that you read some of the many posts by Judy_in_Calgary on this forum where you will pick up lots of excellent tips about what to do in Cape Town.

Hope this all helps.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa
Dec 19th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Kavey and Selwyn. I thought 9 days was a bit long.
Would you suggest staying in Capetown or outside of the city?

Dec 20th, 2004, 02:09 AM

You could easily split it to stay 3 nights in Cape Town and 2 in the Winelands or something along those lines.

I stayed in Green Point in Cape Town and in Franschhoek in the Winelands and was very happy with both locations.

Search this Thread