Search

Suggestions for a Safari Camera Bag

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2018, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions for a Safari Camera Bag

HI all.
I'm going on my first safari in Africa in September and have purchased a new bridge camera. I'm looking for advice on what kind of case I should get. The sling type backpacks look like they make accessing the camera easy, but the standard backpacks seem like they might have enough space to store a lightweight jacket when I'm done with it. I've read that there are weight limits on the bush flights so would it be a better idea to just get a small case for the camera? It is not a DSLR so I will not have extra lenses or an external flash, and I don't plan on bringing a tripod.
Any other suggestions for what I should look for or avoid in a camera bag?
Any photography suggestions?
Thanks.
Melissa
Old Jan 24th, 2018, 02:55 PM

If you are just bringing a camera without any extra lenses or tripod why do you even need and extra case. I put my Nikon SLR 2 different lenses and my charger inside my regular my regular carry-on (surrounded by clothes for protection). I always kept the camera “at the ready” while on safari and had a small waterproof nylon bag (that folded into I kept in my pocket in case it rained (I never needed it).
Old Jan 24th, 2018, 05:42 PM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
Congrats on your trip! I usually carry a backpack (North Face at the moment) while on the ground in Africa and carry jacket, hat, sunglasses, camera, passport, cash, etc. I wouldn't think a specific "camera bag" would be necessary. I carry several cameras and lenses and only use a backpack.
Old Jan 29th, 2018, 03:17 AM

Agree with above two posters that you would be better off carrying your camera in a daypack along with other necessities for the game drives. If you want a bag to protect the camera during transit, look for a Lowepro bag just large enough to fit the camera. During game drives you will want to keep the camera at the ready all the time, so leave it out of the bag.
Old Jan 29th, 2018, 04:28 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I think I may have responded to you on Trip Advisor's Kenya forums, Melissa, but this is what I use: https://www.pacsafe.com/camsafe-v18-.../15230100.html It is my personal item on the plane and my day-bag out on safari. It has an adjustable padded compartment to keep my camera tight in the bag and protected, but it also has room for all the usual day-bag stuff like sunblock, batteries, water bottle, etc. Plus this has the secure ID pockets for ID and credit cards. I take a pillowcase to cover it up while on game drives, which keeps my camera out of the bag but ready for action while in the safari vehicle. No matter where you are, it's dusty and the vehicles stir that up so you want to keep the camera covered when you're not using it.