Travelling to SA - New Passport Requirements

Nov 5th, 2003, 01:39 AM
Original Poster

Travelling to SA - New Passport Requirements

I have just received this imformation from Family in RSA for travellers to South Africa

Please note that with immediate effect, anyone travelling to South Africa must have two consecutive blank pages in their passport which lie side by side when the passport is open (i.e. a left and a right hand page). Passports must also be valid for at least six months.
Passengers travelling to South Africa with passports which do not comply with these requirements, will either be stopped from boarding the aircraft or risk deportation on arrival in South Africa.

In addition, a parent travelling with children, WITHOUT the other parent, will need a letter of consent from the absent parent. The letter of consent must be certified by the police.

Apparently they are being VERY strict - so definately worth checking.
Nov 5th, 2003, 06:44 AM

Can anyone verify this? (Selwyn?)

My passport is chock full (it's 9 1/4 years old) and we're going to Z.A. in December, so I'd definitely have to ship it off for more pages...
Nov 5th, 2003, 11:15 AM
sandi

I can't verify, but looking at my passport note that they did go for two clean unused pages, though all stamps happen to be on one page only. As to having written documentation for minors traveling with only one parent, that's not unusual - many countries require such.

I would send you passport off pronto with copy of your airline ticket, copy of your itinerary for a renewal (that's if you don't have 2-consecutive clean pages.) And bye the way, will you be visiting other countries? You'll need room for them if you do.

Being 9-1/4 yrs, you're due for a renewal, so take care of it now. When renewing ask for the large passport (has twice as many pages as the standard passport - no extra charge for this) which has a combination of numbered and alpha pages.

I know for additional pages I had passport returned within 3-wks, but I wasn't in a hurry. For a new one it might still take 3-wks, that's why I suggest you send copy of ticket and itinerary and ask that they rush. I've never waited for either a new, renew or added pages more than 3-wks - but you never know these days.

Nov 6th, 2003, 02:29 PM

2 full blank pages! Don't you hate it when they bang one stamp right in the middle of a page!
Nov 8th, 2003, 01:02 AM

I've just got my flight confirmation through for my trip in January - and can confirm what katycee has posted - two clear pages are now wanted by immigration.
Nov 11th, 2003, 12:00 AM

Thanks for the headsup!

Search this Thread